Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Mission Five: "Unto the Breach"

Tue May 12, 2015 4:03 am

All right, we may be launching into this mission sooner than anticipated and writing two missions concurrently, but Mission Five is going to be a joint mission with our sister ship, the USS Endeavour. The Portland and Endeavour are going to team up to fight off a Borg incursion into Federation space. This mission will have action, excitement, and fresh challenges for the crews of both the ships.

Mission Five is going to be set in early 2392, several months after the events of Mission Four (present timeline). Regarding our characters, we will simply assume that the intervening time was rather uneventful service -- charting gaseous anomalies, ferrying diplomats, that sort of thing. Our characters will have aged slightly, gotten to know each other a bit better, and anyone whose character is pregnant will be further along (looks at Tim & Ellen).

How this will work is that the mission will be done in three parts. Parts 1 and 2 will be worked on concurrently by both crews, and Part 3 will be when our crews meet up and start working together.
Part 1: The Endeavour responds to a distress call
Part 2: The Portland investigates the source of the Borg incursion
Part 3: The Portland, Endeavour, and perhaps some special guest stars team up to save the Alpha Quadrant!

Also, gadgets! I'm thinking that the Portland is outfitted with a special gadget that we can use on this mission. Perhaps a holo-emitter that allows us to disguise ourselves as other ships, or some kind of advanced cloaking device... any ideas?
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Jason Beauvoir
Chief Science Officer
Chief Science Officer

Re: Mission Five: "Unto the Breach"

Sat May 23, 2015 4:02 pm

If we have a holo-emitter that lets us disguise the Portland as other ships, we'd also require a device that allows us to change the Portland's warp signature, otherwise it would give the game away.
Lieutenant Jason Anderson Beauvoir
Chief Science Officer
USS Portland

Marcus Kallan

Sat May 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Any technology that is not a "deus ex machina" only lasts for a short time with the Borg. (See Voyager's Endgame for an example of what I'm talking about)

Rather than something as mundane as a holographic disguise, I'm wondering if the technology isn't some sort of propulsion hackjob that briefly kicks the ship through Fluidic Space. The Borg really don't like Fluidic Space, as Species 8472 has proven to be a major thorn in their side. But at the same time, Fluidic Space does a number on regular space matter, so it'd only be a way to either A) skirt around a Borg conflict, or B) used as an escape hatch. Of course, utilizing Fludic Space will no doubt attract Species 8472's attention...
Marcus Kallan
Chief Operations Officer
USS Portland

Tyrlai Zade
Chief Diplomatic Officer/Second Officer

Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 am

I am interested in one of these "deus ex machina" machines. That sounds like it could be pretty powerful. :)
Tyrlai Zade
Second Officer / Diplomatic Officer
USS Portland

Brad Silverton

Thu May 28, 2015 12:36 am

I think we should alter the EMH to look like the borg queen with holo-Alenis' personality put onto it then beam it over to the borg ship!
Lt. Brad Silverton
Chief Medical Officer
USS Portland

Arthur Reynolds
Chief Tactical Officer
Chief Tactical Officer

Thu May 28, 2015 1:09 am

This may be a bit of a stretch, but I recall the Borg trying to assimilate the Omega molecule several times. If you want to talk about "deus ex machinas", there may be nothing greater than that. Too bad it was just a macguffin in the eponymous episode. Then again, Starfleet does have that Omega Directive in place, and trying to harness one might cause severe dissonance with Starfleet itself.

It might also be a shame to sour relations with Species 8472 after all that effort Voyager went through to convince them Starfleet wasn't a threat. I doubt they'd appreciate unwelcome visitors to fluidic space. But it might be a great excuse to use the Brotherhood of Kro'al again.

What about a device that creates sensor ghosts? It could trick the Borg into thinking there are more ships than there actually are.
Lt. Arthur Couer-Reynolds
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Portland

Tyrlai Zade

Thu May 28, 2015 3:01 pm

How about modulating energized armor plating. Allowing little Portland to shed Borg tractor/energy beams leaving us free to dart into Borg infested areas for a few minutes at a time. Our armor adapts just as fast as the Borg do and then eventually fails at just the right/plot driven moment.
Tyrlai Zade
USS Portland

Timothy Rouse
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm

You guys are seriously giving me a headacke with all that techno babbling.
Commander Timothy Andrew Rouse
Executive Officer
USS Portland

Tyrlai Zade

Thu May 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Timothy Rouse wrote:You guys are seriously giving me a headacke with all that techno babbling.

Oooh that reminds me, we also want some transphasic meta-rotational frequency specific ablative shielding to create a holo-particle cocoon effect to take the brunt of the energy specific kinetic damage leaving only the tractoring lock for the armoring to ablate, often with a rotating sub harmonic resonance field
Tyrlai Zade
USS Portland

Arthur Reynolds
Chief Tactical Officer
Chief Tactical Officer

Fri May 29, 2015 1:06 am

Tyrlai Zade wrote:
Timothy Rouse wrote:You guys are seriously giving me a headacke with all that techno babbling.

Oooh that reminds me, we also want some transphasic meta-rotational frequency specific ablative shielding to create a holo-particle cocoon effect to take the brunt of the energy specific kinetic damage leaving only the tractoring lock for the armoring to ablate, often with a rotating sub harmonic resonance field

But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?
Lt. Arthur Couer-Reynolds
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Portland

Return to “The Ready Room”