Daniel Tobin

Re: Mission One: "Not Until Tuesday"

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 am

USS Portland
Intelligence Office

Tobin yawned and tried to refocus his eyes on the report in his hand. His PADD had marked it for priority review. Given that the report contained nothing more than speculations on Breen cuisine, he strongly suspected he hadn't configured his PADD correctly.

He downgraded the report's priority and moved to the next. "Computer, how long until we launch?"

[The USS Portland left the Starbase twenty-two minutes ago.]

Tobin cursed. He'd meant to be on the bridge as the ship set off, if only to show his department's flag during the Portland's maiden voyage.

He tossed the PADD aside. He could still make an appearance, and maybe even configure one of the wall terminals to connect to the Intelligence database.

He strolled out of the office and towards the turbolift. Mentally reviewing the ship's personnel records, he tried to recall the names of the crewmen he passed. He managed to get two before reaching the turbolift. Tobin smirked with pride as the doors closed behind him.

---------------

USS Portland
Bridge

Tobin stepped out of the turbolift and quietly made his way to an unused wall terminal. He began tapped out his security codes and glanced over the bridge crew while the terminal processed his authorization.

Arvel Darze

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 am

U.S.S. Portland | Bridge

Arvel had made his way to the bridge and looked around bit, the bridge itself was nice and shiny and new. The crew well some of the background crewmembers were also that shiny and new. It made Arvel wonder if he was either getting older or if he was seeing things as everything young and new? Good thing he was the shrink and didn't have to answer to anyone.

He saw a younger Officer and approached the man and extending a hand that was typical for what humans found comfortable he said to Tobin, "Hello there. I'm Arvel, Ship's shrink. And you are?"

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:52 am

Captain’s Quarters
USS Portland
The night before launch
Authors: Lt. Cmdr. Alenis Meru and Lt. (JG) Arvel Darze

“Damn,” muttered Alenis as she emptied the last pill from the bottle. For the past few months, she’d been taking tranquilizers nightly to help her sleep. They were prescribed by her doctor on the ShiKahr, after Alenis practically begged him to give her something to help her relax at night.

But tonight, her fear wasn't the Borg. She had an appointment in the morning that she was dreading. Starfleet's mandatory psychological assessment program, for officers with a history of mental health issues. She'd been on the program since that fateful day three years ago, when as Chief Tactical Officer, her ship was destroyed with the loss of most of the crew.

With a drink of water, she took her last pill and went to bed, hoping she wouldn’t have the dream again.

Counselor's office
USS Portland
The morning of the launch

Arvel had been rummaging around the Counselor's Office, getting things setup in his own particular way. He was a follower of the early Interspecies Medical Exchange Doctor Phlox's way of bringing animals on board. He had to get clearance for all sorts of creatures which he kept mostly in the Counselor's office behind a door normally used for medical storage but, thanks to his suggestions was now partially opened to the Counselor's office via a door that was left open.

The layout of the Counselor's Office was of a typical layout found aboard the Galaxy-class Explorer's, which had gotten the original layout of this type of Counselor's Office from the class of ship that he was currently aboard. "Not ever older just better," was the motto that the Starfleet Corps of Engineers had told him about the Miranda-class design when they had a new Counselor's office for him.

Thankfully he hadn't met with the Captain yet; he had done all this ground work through the First Officer - an interesting man that Arvel had yet to decide what he thought about him.

Now he knew who the Captain was and that relationship well was complicated hence why he didn't want to talk to her just yet.

And yet... here she was. As he had heard her voice, he turned around and looked at her.

“Doctor, I’m sorry I didn’t make an appointment, but-- Arvel?” Alenis stood there, empty pill bottle in hand. People said it was a small galaxy, but she'd never expected to see this man again.

"Why hello!" He smiled instantly and yet genuinely, "Its good to see you again..." He wasn't sure what to call her but stuck with the Naval traditional term, "Captain," He said with a knowing grin, "Though the title doesn't match the pips on your collar yet..so what shall I call you?"

"I'm sure that's just an oversight on the part of command. Ma'am or Captain is fine." Alenis returned a nervous smile. Her feelings towards him were complicated, and seeing him again was like being immersed in a jumble of emotions. "Or Meru, in the proper setting." Her eyes frantically darted around his office, as though they couldn't bear to focus on him. "I wish this were a social call, doctor, but I've got my mandatory psychological assessment."

He looked around the office, "Though since you came down here and since you have an assessment I think Meru is appropriate." He said, "Now since you had time to come down here I think you should take a seat on my couch and we shall plan out the assessment."

He was trying to act as professional as he could so he couldn't betray what he was really feeling.

Though it had been a long time since she last saw him, Alenis could tell that something was wrong. There was just something off about his tone of voice, and she could sense some discomfort in her eyes. Not that she could blame him. The last time she saw him, her bags were packed and she had a shuttle to catch. She didn't want to end their relationship, but just couldn't turn down this new assignment. "Are you sure?" she asked. "I don't even know why this is necessary, if you could just give me a refill, I could be on my way," she added offering the empty pill bottle to Arvel.

"You know that's not how it works. And I would be remiss if I let you just up and take something that's strong enough to tranq a Gorn who's having a bad hair day." He added for emphasis, "Who is the quack that gave you license to take something as strong as these? You weren't taking anything when you decided to up and leave." He shook the bottle she had given him in his hand.

"Also I know you to know better than to ask me to give you something that is bad for you. If it wasn't for the fact that we've had a previous relationship," he stated simply for her though he knew what he meant as he gave her a stare, "I would relieve you of duty on the spot! We can't have the Captain of a old ship like this Miranda-class frigate passing out or zonking out from to many of these! Explain to me very simply what got you started on these and what we can do to get you to stop taking these right now without relieving you of duty?"

"Those pills were prescribed to me by the Chief Medical Officer on my previous assignment. They help me sleep." She let out a sigh. She knew her weak attempt to evade treatment wouldn't work on Arvel; she could never lie to or hide anything from him. Well, except for that one time. "I've had a lot of trouble sleeping. Ever since I started having those dreams about the Gol and the battle with the Borg." Alenis let out a deep breath. "As for our relationship, if that's going to be an issue, maybe we should talk about it--" she was interrupted by the call of a large bird in a cage "--though this might not be the best time and place for that."

"And what better place to talk about your talking things to sleep that could kill certain animals," Arvel responded again as he cooed at the bird to quiet it down, "I picked that one up on Alamis IV she actually has a soft soothing coo that calms some of my more less sane patients at times." He looked right at Meru, "I could use her on you. This drug is highly addictive, and right now is a good a time as any to get you a better way to sleep than this vile thing." He paused and watched her carefully, "What you need to do is talk about what happened there during the battle not suppress it. Also Vulcan neuropressure would help, and since I studied how to do it properly we could do that as well to help you sleep."

"Well, you're the doctor," said Alenis as she resigned herself to his treatment.

Arvel smiled and then said, "Yes I am, and I know what is best for you. I don't have any appointments so do you want to start with the neuropressure?" He asked.

Alenis glanced at the chronometer. She didn't have any pressing matters to tend to; at least nothing that couldn't be pushed back a few hours. "Sure," she said, unable to come up with an excuse. "On his couch here?" she asked as she began removing her tunic. Her back to the doctor, Alenis pulled her undershirt over her head and clutched it to her chest. Though there was nothing that he hadn't seen before, she wasn't quite ready to relax in front of Arvel yet.

"Yes of course," He said giving a slight smile as he helped her and performed the pressure as expertly as he had learned how to do so and then he looked at her and simply said, "You are still tense so that you will need to come back tomorrow and again the next time. If you prefer more intimate setting we can do so in your quarters tomorrow."

"I... sure, that would be great," replied Alenis.

Noticing her hesitation he raised an eyebrow like the Vulcan's would have his first thought was to apologize but then again he did nothing wrong it was just a step by step thing to gain her trust, "I remember you liked this bird." He said as he opened the cage as she put her tunic on herself, "She remembers you, and in fact has been a bit testy since you left the last assignment we were together on. She will help you soothe and coo at you. You will wear her during your duty shift. Which starts when exactly?" He added.

"I'm the captain; I'm always on duty," replied Alenis jokingly as she beckoned the brightly coloured bird to perch on her hand. Though there was an element of truth to her statement. She worked long hours, and even when she did get a couple hours to do as she pleased, she would be constantly thinking about the ship. From Arvel's expression, she could tell immediately that that wasn't something he wanted to hear. "I remember you, Ko-ko. It's been a while," she quickly added as the bird lept onto her hand with a flap of her wings. She was with Arvel when he first got the bird, and it was Alenis who named her. "You're a good bird, aren't you, Ko-ko?"

Introducing Ko-ko, Chief Morale Officer
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Daniel Tobin

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:53 am

Authors: Arvel Darze and Daniel Tobin

"Daniel Tobin, Chief Intelligence Officer." Tobin replied, shaking Arvel's offered hand. "I have to say, I've never met a Ship's Counselor who refers to himself as a shrink." He grinned. "I like it. It's very direct."

Smiling at Tobin, Arvel nodded, "Well that's how I approach things, this whole pretending to be a counselor and such isn't exactly the right thing. Direct and simple eh me hearty?" He said with a grin.

Timothy Rouse

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:53 am

Bridge
USS Portland
25 minutes after launch
Authors: Lt. Cmdr. Timothy Rouse and Lt. Jg. Daniel Tobin

Timothy looked up from his chair to see the young officer chatting with the Counselor. "Lieutenant, nice of you to join us." He said, turning back to his console.

"Sir." Tobin replied with a nod, before returning to the terminal. "My apologies, I'd meant to be here earlier. Too engrossed in my daily reading, I suppose."

"It's ok, next time just pay more attention on the time." Tim said as he stood up and walked to Tobin's station. "I don't believe we've been officially introduced. Timothy Rouse." He offered his hand at the last.

The XO wasn't mentioning ranks. That suited Tobin just fine. He smiled and shook Tim's offered hand. "Daniel Tobin. And thank you sir, I promise it won't happen again. It's just that, in my new position, there's far more reports to review. But I'll adjust soon enough."

"I understand that. So far everything going good with your department?" Tim asked.

"For the most part, yes." Tobin replied. "We've seen some minor permissions issues crop up, but it's nothing terribly important."

Tobin tapped in a set of commands, and the terminal chirped in response. "Anyway, I've been reading up on the wormhole aliens. I've always found them a little terrifying. Incomprehensible beings capable of wiping out fleets - it's Intelligence's worst nightmare."

"Not just Intel's worst nightmare." Tim replied with a grin. He got a headache every time he heard about them. “Keep me posted if you discover something interesting” he said and moved on to another station.

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:54 am

Captain's Office
USS Portland
Authors: Lt. Cmdr. Alenis Meru and Lt. Jg. Daniel Tobin

Tobin flinched as the captain shouted. Evidently, the commander hadn't left her on the best of terms. With a sigh, he straightened his uniform and stepped through the door.

"Captain, the computer's claiming I don't have clearance to access cargo bay three's internal sensors. I'm guessing there was some oversight when my permissions were set up, and the computer's telling me I'll need your codes to fix that. Unless there's something in cargo bay three I should know about. Or something I should know I shouldn't know about. But if that's not the case, could you update my access?"

"And who are you, exactly?" asked Alenis in a stern voice, the slight scowl on her face highlighting her Bajoran features. She knew she'd seen his photo before in one of the personnel files, but was just too frustrated with Shras and with the thought of the Federation poking and prodding at Bajoran religious artifacts to think clearly.

Tobin stiffened and saluted. "Ah, sorry. Lieutenant J.G. Daniel Tobin, your Chief Intelligence Officer." It wasn't the first impression he'd wanted. His eyes briefly darted to the door. Maybe he could run to the turbolift and come back later, when the captain was in a better mood. If he told everyone he had the Levodian Flu, he might even get away with it.

"Welcome aboard," replied Alenis, returning the salute. Though an adept tactician, she didn't care much for the cloak and dagger business of Starfleet Intellgence. "Allow me to make that change in the computer. As you were. Tobin..." she squinted as she tried to sort out the personnel records, which had all jumbled together in her head. "You were at New Algiers, correct? Many good men died that day." 486 of them on the Gol, she added, mentally.

Tobin dropped the salute, but kept his posture. "Yes ma'am. We were on the Semblance to start. Cutting beams tore off the better part of the ship. I was in the shuttle bay at the time, along with a few crewmen. As the ranking officer in the area - possibly the entire ship, for all we knew - I gave the order to abandon ship. A few of us tried to search for survivors before we left. We found an ensign who said we'd been boarded. We were in no condition to fight Borg, so we headed straight for the pods."

"Anyway, the Albany transported us aboard almost immediately after the escape pods launched. Dropping their shields was risky, but given the casualties they'd taken, they were desperate for personnel. Were you there, ma'am?"

"Yes," replied Alenis. For a brief moment, she saw the viewscreen of the Gol again, with the Borg plasma torpedo closing in. She closed her eyes, but the image didn't go away. For a second, she could hear the chaos that was the bridge of the Gol after the hit. "I was on the Gol," she replied in a quiet and sombre tone.

Tobin frowns. "The Gol." He struggled to connect the name with the records his team had reviewed after the battle. "That was one of the first ships we lost, wasn't it?"

"It was not the first, but yes, it was lost. Only a few dozen made it off, the rest..." Alenis trailed off, staring into space as she thought about the lives lost that day. "I'm sorry, Lieutenant, was there anything else you needed?" she asked, partly to fill the silence and partly to change the subject.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:55 am

MD1 (launch day), 1100 hours
Sickbay, USS Portland
Authors: Commander!!! Alenis Meru and Lt. Cmd. Timothy Rouse

“Please state the nature of the medical emergency.”

“The captain needs a physical,” replied Ellen Washington, “and we do not have a Chief Medical Officer on board yet.”

“That is not a medical emergency. Need I remind you that I am an emergency medical hologram, not a full-time doctor?”

“If you will excuse me,” interjected Alenis, “I’m very busy and if I don’t get my physical done now, there will be a medical emergency.” She was irate – her day wasn’t going well, and she didn’t like seeing doctors. Especially not for routine physicals.

“Very well,” replied the EMH as he picked up a medical tricorder. “Lie down on this biobed, Captain, I’ll take it from here.”

15 minutes later…

Alenis lay perfectly still on the biobed. They had found something that may or may not be a tumour, and now she had to stay for further imaging. As the imager did its work, Alenis found it hard to relax. The silence around her in sickbay only made it harder to focus on remaining still, as she found herself staring at the ceiling, trapped with her thoughts. Her ears perked up; from the next room, she heard a sound. Listening closer, she could tell that it was a conversation – though somewhat muffled by the distance and the partition between rooms.

“So, Ellen, who is this mystery man?”

"Sttt," 'Ellen' shushed her friend and then continued. "I still don't know who he is, haven't seen him since."

Alenis' ears perked up. She didn't mean to eavesdrop, but there was nothing else to listen to.

"Come on, at least describe him," replied the other voice.

"Maria please, I've told you this before. Why do you want to hear it all the time" The woman was silent for a second. "Ok, short blond hair. The most gorgeous blue eyes I've ever seen, and a perfect, well trained body to die for. Happy now?" 'Ellen' said annoyed.

"Yes, I can only imagine. The sweet, young, innocent admiral's daughter hooking up with a hunky mystery man. It's romantic. Or at least it would have been, had he not abandoned you in the morning."

"Oh please, don't start again." there was a silence. "I've done whatever I could think of to find him. Unfortunately, there were more than a dozen ships stationed at Starbase 302. Just assuming for a moment he serves on one of them, there would still be... I don't know how many people that fit the description. And besides, my father would have a fit if he ever found out. No, let's just forget the whole deal and move on."

"Right, well, if I see anyone fitting that description, I'll give him a piece of my mind. No one just loves and leaves my best friend Ellen Washington like that!"

In the next room, Alenis lay still. She'd already heard too much.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:56 am

Rendezvous, part I
USS Portland
Mission Day 1
Authors: Lt. Cmdr. Alenis Meru, Lt. Cmdr Timothy Rouse, Lt. (JG) R'vahis

As the USS Portland sped towards the rendezvous point, Alenis returned to the bridge, this time with a large bird perched upon her shoulder. As she made her way to her station, she could tell that its brightly coloured plumage caught the attention of everyone on the bridge. “What’s our ETA?” she asked as she sat down in the big chair. “Are we picking up the Fox and the Quebec City on our long-range sensors?”

"Ten minutes till we reach our destination. Other ships are on the sensors, but no contact has been made yet. I left that honor to you" He said as he stared at the bird. "You know there is a bird on your shoulder right." He said on softer tone.

“Thank you.” Alenis leaned in towards Tim. "The bird is..." she didn't even know how to explain it. "Well, it's doctor's orders."

Tim honestly didn't know what to say and just shook his head.

Looking at her chronometer, Alenis could see that they were right on time, having made up the minute and eleven seconds lost at departure due to what Shras’ report would refer to as gross incompetence. And is Mongoose operational?” she added, looking around the bridge, to see Shras sitting at a terminal, stewing in the frustration he created for himself.

The Caitian Operations Chief nodded as he spoke in a deep, pleasant baritone, "Affirmative, Commander. Engineering is reporting that teams are in place for the testing, and..." R'vahis paused as his fingers danced over his control console, "...and the supplimentary power cells installed in shuttlebay two on deck seven are powered and ready for commencement."

“Excellent.” She pressed a button on her chair to activate the intercom. “All senior officers to the bridge, we are to rendezvous shortly."

"I'm sorry, but this is most peculiar," interrupted Shras, who could not keep quiet any longer. "You are bringing wild animals onto the bridge while testing my prototype? This is supposed to be a bridge, not a zoo!"

Hearing the loud voice, Ko-ko flapped her wings, propelling her onto Alenis' shoulder. The bird nuzzled itself against her hair and let out a soft coo. "Shras, be quiet," replied Alenis in a stern yet soft voice, not so loud as to alarm the bird. "This bird is a valued member of this crew. Isn't that right, Ko-ko?"

"This is absurd. My report will have something to say about this!"

"So noted," replied Alenis in a dismissive tone. "Hail the Fox. On screen."

"Ah, Commander Alenis, right on time," The face of Captain S'rress of the USS Fox filled up the screen. "Is that dinner, or have you taken up piracy?" asked the Caitian, her voice breaking into a slight purr on the "R" sounds.

R'vahis glanced up from his controls and one of his ears twitched slightly as the viewscreen abruptly drew his attention to the other ship's captain.

"Neither," said Alenis, horrified at the notion that someone might want to eat Ko-ko. She quickly glanced at R'vahis then back to the main viewer. "This here is Ko-ko, she's... well, it's complicated. Doctor's orders. Are we ready to commence testing?" she asked, quickly changing the subject.

At this, the Portland's Chief of Operations offered a subtle, almost indecipherable sound of purring amusement, but otherwise maintained his professional demeanor.

"Yes. The Quebec City is powered up and rigged for remote control. As perrrr the plan, we'll control the Quebec City and observe, while you test out the weapon."

"Mongoose is fully installed and online, and we'll be arriving shortly," Alenis said as she petted her bird.

"Excellent. Once you drop out of warp, approach to within 25 kilometres of the Quebec City and stand by for further instructions"

"Roger. Portland out."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:56 am

Rendezvous, Part II
USS Portland
Mission Day 1
Authors: Lt. Cmdr. Alenis Meru, Lt. Cmdr. Timothy Rouse, Lt. (JG) R'vahis, Lt. (JG) Arvel Darze, and Lt. (JG) Jason Beauvoir

In the time it had taken for them to reach the test site, Jason had almost gotten his department under control. He'd be happier when the megalomaniac with Commander's pips was out of his department for good.

Now as he made his way to the Bridge couldn't help smiling as he dreamed up accidents that th'Zarath might experience.

Tobin stepped out of the turbolift and walked towards his terminal. After opening his stored configuration, he turned his eyes back towards the bridge crew and frowned. He hadn't imagined it - there was a bird on the bridge, perched directly on the captain. He supposed that was one the privileges of rank, although he couldn't imagine why the captain had chosen to embrace this particular privilege.

Jason entered the Bridge. Addressing the CO, he said. "Captain, I apologise for my tardiness, but I seem to have misplaced some equipment and members of my staff." He briefly turned and stared daggers at Commander th'Zarath, before returning to the CO and adding. "I like the bird, by the way, gives the Bridge a bit of colour." The bird made him think of pirates and a smile crossed his features as he imagined forcing 'His Lordship' th'Zarath, to walk-the-plank

"Thank you," replied Alenis, offering Jason a sympathetic eye-roll. She wanted to take him aside and reassure him that soon the nuisance would be out of his hair, but that would be somewhat impolitic. "This is Ko-ko. She's... well... it's kind of complicated..." She was stumbling over her words. Though it was most unusual to have a pet on the bridge, she had a perfectly valid reason for it. The only problem was it was not a reason that she wanted to divulge to the crew; as a new commanding officer, the last thing she needed was for rumours about her mental health and fitness for duty to be floating around among her senior staff. As she stammered, Ko-ko flapped her wings and perched herself on Alenis' head. The door to the bridge opened, but instead of a welcome distraction, the figure who appeared was all too familiar.

As Arvel stepped onto the bridge he couldn't help but smile at the sight of Alenis with a brightly coloured bird perched upon her head. Ko-ko was a smarter than average bird with intelligence nearly equal to that of a human.

He let a low whistle and he heard Ko-Ko responded, "What do you think of the new Chief Morale Officer?"

"Oh, Ko-ko is just wonderful," she said, letting out a chuckle as she coaxed the bird off her head and onto her arm. "Her presence definitely brightens the bridge."

"ETA in 15 seconds, ma'am," the helmsman chimed in.

"To your stations, everyone," called out Alenis as she sat back down in her chair. "Helm, get us into position. Mr. Beauvoir, configure sensors for the test. Ops, charge power cells and prepare Mongoose for test fire."

"Power cells charging, Captain." R'vahis answered crisply, all but ignoring the ship's new morale officer for the time being. "Mongoose will be operrrational and awaiting yourrr command in seventeen seconds."

"Aye, ma'am." Jason said and went to his station and brought up the sensor configuration interface. Entering in the required instructions, he then waited for the program to run its course. Moments later he reported that the sensors were ready.

"Roger," replied Alenis as she turned to Tim. She could feel the Portland dropping out of warp and slowing to a stop. "Here, hold Ko-ko for a moment," she said as she passed the bird his way.

He immediately passed the bird on to the armrest of his chair, while he was seriously questioning If the whole bridge had gone mad.

"We're in position, Commander," said the helmsman. The Quebec City, a ship not unlike the Portland, was visible on screen.

"Hail the Fox," called out Alenis. The Caitian captain again appeared on the main viewer. "We're ready and in position."

"Purrrfect," replied S'rress. "Haneda, commence the first test." She turned back to the main viewer. "Commander Alenis, you will see that the Quebec City is powering up. In a moment, it will begin proceeding on a course of 120 mark 10 at half impulse. After ten seconds, your task will be to intercept the Quebec City and disable it with a projected stasis field from Mongoose. Remember to monitor your power usage, we want that data for future studies."

"Aye captain," replied Alenis. "Portland out." As the screen faded to an outside view, she could see the Quebec City's engines powering up and the other ship, a sister to the Portland, begin to move away. Alenis stared out "Helm, prepare an intercept course. On my mark, engage full impulse. Tactical, target the Quebec City and prepare to fire the projected stasis field when in range..."

Tim looked at the young tactical officer and saw the uncertain look on his face. He stood up, walked over there and relieved the officer, glad he could assume a more practical task on the bridge. He'd missed his old spot. He checked the state of the weapons and accessed the targeting system. He pinpointed the Quebec City and said "Quebec targeted and Mongoose ready to fire." while holding his finger close to the fire button.

"...Mark."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:57 am

Rendezvous, Part III
USS Portland
Mission Day 1
Authors: Cmdr. Alenis Meru, Lt. Cmdr. Timothy Rouse, and Lt. (JG) R'vahis

As the helmsman's fingers danced across the controls, the Portland lurched forward, quickly accelerating to speed close in on the Quebec City. Alenis took Ko-ko in her lap to keep the bird from wandering the bridge. "Mr. R'vahis, call out the range as we approach. Tactical," she looked up to see Rouse standing beside the rookie tactical officer, trying to show him the ropes, "Hit them with the stasis field once we close to eight kilometres."

"Hold on," interrupted Shras as he walked across the bridge towards the tactical console. "You think I'm going to let some meatheaded tactical officer with no science training operate a highly experimental projected stasis field? That would be like allowing a simpleton to perform brain surgery!"

For a second all Tim could do was stare at the man. Did he just called him a meat head? He straightened his back, making him a great deal taller than the scientist. "Well, I don't want some karskat klahz to operate the ship's weapons. That's like letting a child play with a phaser." And he looked back at Alenis to wait for her instructions to continue, completely ignoring the scientist.

From his station at the fore of the bridge, Lt. R'vahis attempted to cover his amusement at the XO's comments by quietly clearing his throat and then saying, "Seventeen point two kilometers and closing, Captain..."

"Oh, the pink-skin simpleton knows a few words in Andorian. Well, perhaps he is familiar with the term zhal--"

"Enough!" shouted Alenis, loud enough to scare Ko-ko, who, sitting on her lap, buried her head in Alenis' chest. "Mr. Rouse, continue. Mr. th'Zarath, sit down and be quiet!"

"Fifteen." R'vahis counted down the distance to target.

"This project is my baby, and I will not allow my her to be left in the hands of the sort of imbecilic--"

"One more insult towards my crew and I will have you removed from the bridge!" Alenis, furious, stood up and looked him straight in the eye. "If you have a problem, you will address me and only me."

"Twelve"

"Oh, well in that case, Commander Alenis, you are clearly unable to manage your crew, and the fact that you would bring a wild animal onto the bridge betrays a stunning incompetence and inability to command a starship."

"Ten"

Alenis was seething mad, so much so that she unintentionally reverted back to her first language. "Mr. th'Zarath, you are by far the most annoying, stuck-up, irritating, pavrak kheetagh I've ever met." Fortunately for Alenis, there were a few words in the Bajoran language which were untranslatable by the UT. Even Ko-ko got in on it, angrily cawing at Shras.

"Nine"

Shras stared back at her. "I'm going to--"

"What, you'll put this in your report? I look forward to reading it." Alenis' anger was about to boil over. "In the meantime, do us all a favour and keep your mouth closed."

"Eight"

Alenis turned her head back to the tactical console. "Rouse, fire the stasis field!"

"Stasis field fired" Tim said at the firing of the weapon, his hands itching to remove that man from the bridge. An arc of blue energy, visually similar to a tractor beam, extended from the stasis field emitters on the Portland to the Quebec City.

"Is it working?" asked Alenis as she stared intently at the screen. Her question was answered when the lights on the Quebec City dimmed, flickered, and went out.

"It's beautiful," said Shras in a calm tone. "Thank you. Thank you, Commander."

"You're... you're welcome?" replied Alenis in a confused tone. Only a few seconds earlier, Shras was the terror of the bridge, accusing her of incompetence and making life hell for her and her crew. Looking over at the Andorian, Alenis could see him tearing up. She breathed a sigh of relief -- perhaps now that he's seen his project successful, Shras may show a bit of a softer side towards the crew. "Confirm that target is disabled. R'vahis, how is power usage?"

"The energy drain is rrrather intense, Captain, even with the buffering measures we have in place." The caitian spoke as he consulted the screen monitoring to the Mongoose apparatus. "Auxilary power is at 62% and falling at a rate of rrroughly 4% every second."

Lt. R'vahis glanced back over his shoulder and added, "We simply can't maintain this sort of energy expenditurrre much longer...Sir." the felinoid paused as he finished speaking, uncomfortable with his possible breach of ship's etiquette and determined that he'd take up the matter of Lt. Commander Meru's prefered prefix, be it Sir or Ma'am, as soon as time and events allowed.

Alenis thought for a second, making some quick calculations about power usage. "That should be enough for the first test. Shut her down, and recharge auxiliary power in preparation for the next test."

"Cap'n, we're receiving a distress call" Tim said from the Tactical station.

"On screen."

A fuzzy, grainy image of a Bolian woman clad in a bomber jacket appeared on screen. "This is the freighter Asmi" A console exploded behind her. "We are under attack by Orion pirates. Our engines are disabled. We need assistance. Please help!"

Instinctively, Alenis knew what to do. "Set a course for the Asmi's position, maximum warp. Engage."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Return to “The Bridge”