Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Re: Mission Seven: "Troubles on Trill"

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 am

New Chief, part II
Captain's Ready Room, USS Portland
Authors: Alenis Meru, Ash Sullivan

After completing his workout, Ash jogged back to his room and showered, before changing into a fresh clean uniform. Walking across the bridge he waved to the security officer on duty before proceeding to the door to captain's ready room. Holding a small, gift wrapped box in one hand he pressed the chime and nervously straightened his tunic.

"Come in," called out the voice on the other side of the door, a voice that was unmistakably that of Captain Alenis.

"Good afternoon Captain. You said to drop by?" Ash said simply. Having been told about this promotion while being pinned to a mat on the holodeck, he wasn't sure how formal this ceremony would be.

"Yes, I did." Meru fumbled with her PADDs for a moment, trying to find the right one, before reaching for a small jewelry box. "Ah, here it is, the official documentation. As of today, stardate 69811.4, I hereby promote you to--"

Freezing in place, Meru stared down into the empty jewelry box. "Your pips... they were just here. I don't know where..."

Trailing off, she stared over at Ko-ko. The bird tilted her head and stared back. Meru sighed.

"Actually I brought something for Ensign Ko-ko." Ash said as he held out the box he had brought with him. "When I was down on Trill a merchant showed me this local herb that they mix in with tea leaves that's supposed to be very relaxing. The smell reminded me of mint but its quite sweet. I bought some for myself to try in my tea but I remembered how much our moral officer liked mint leaves so I got her a box." He explained placing the gift wrapped box down on the captain's desk.

Meru smiled. "That's so thoughtful," she said, before looking around the room again. "Why don't you distract her with her gift while I search her perch for the pip. She likes to collect small, shiny things..."

Ash laughed at the unique circumstances of his promotion. "Yes ma'am." He said as he began unwrapping the small box. The box popped open with a small hiss and the sweet smell of mint slowly wafted through the room. Ash pinched a few leaves between his fingers before resealing the box and placing it down on the desk in front of him. "Ensign Ko-ko? I have something for you." He said in a warm tone as he placed the leaves in his left palm and held it out towards the bird, close enough for her to smell it but far enough that she'd need to leave her perch to get to it.

As Ko-ko jumped down from her perch onto the desk and curiously towards the pleasant smelling leaves, Meru got up and headed for Ko-ko's perch. The bird turned her head at Meru, detecting her presence and her movement, but continued towards the leaves anyways, more interested by the potential for treats. She paused for a second, attempting to read Ash to determine if he had any threatening thoughts. Detecting none, she stepped forward and took a nibble of the minty leaves.

After getting a small taste, Ko-ko excitedly picked at the remainder, eating out of Ash's hand, not even getting distracted when Meru exclaimed "found it!" behind her.

"She seems to like them." Ash said with a smile as Ko-ko finished off her leaves and looked up at him expectantly.

"That's good," repled Alenis, stepping close towards Ash to pin the pips on his collar. "Congratulations. As your commanding officer, I officially appoint you as Lieutenant Junior Grade Ash Sullivan."

"Thank you ma'am." Ash said with a sharp salute.

"You're welcome. You've earned it." Meru stepped back and returned the salute. "Now, unless you have anything else, you are dismissed. I think I need to take Ko-ko for a walk..."

"Aye captain." Ash replied simply before turning and leaving the office.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Timothy Rouse
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Time for some personal stuff, part III
When: Before the runabout mission
Where: Captain's Quarters
Authors: Captain Alenis Meru, Commander Timothy Rouse, Major Judith Rouse and Petty Officer Ellen Washington.

As they were walking back hand in hand Tim got nervous for the next part of his big plan. He had managed to send “yes” to Meru, signalling her they could proceed with their plans.
Before they reached Meru’s quarters Tim stopped Ellen and looked her in the eyes. “When do you want to get married?”

“I… uhm... “ she said as she thought about that. Looking back at him she continued. “The sooner the better, I guess.”

Tim smiled. “Two souls think alike,” he said. “I have another surprise for you. I have already planned our marriage… for now…”

Ellen just looked at him before smiling. “You're joking,” But seeing the look in his eyes she saw he wasn’t. “Ok, but what about Andy? I want him there when I marry his daddy.”

He quickly kissed he before saying, “How long do you need to change into your dress uniform? I’ve arranged Meru to marry us with Judith and Maria as our witnesses. I’ve also asked your father but he is too far away from our location to come by, I hope that isn’t a problem?”

“I’ve never wanted a big wedding. What you’ve arranged sounds perfect. Give me ten minutes and I’ll be ready.”

Ten minutes later...

As they entered the Captain’s quarters Andy immediately started to wiggle in his aunt’s hand, wanting to go to either of his parents. Tim took him from Judith and gave his sister a kiss on her cheek. “Thanks for being here, little one.” “I wouldn’t miss your wedding for a beat, big one.” Judith replied. “I wish I could say the same.” Tim said which got him an annoyed look on his sister's face. “Give it a rest, will ya.”

Meru cleared her throat. This was by far the most pleasant duty of a Starfleet captain, and she had rearranged her quarters and changed into her dress uniform for the task. A small podium was replicated, and her window frame was decorated with white fabric and flowers to make it look like an arch. Of course, there were hints of Bajoran culture as well – a Kava root was hung from the ceiling, and the tables were littered with katterpods; an old tradition meant to symbolize good fortune for the new couple.

With her white gloves, she turned the page on the heavy, Bajoran religious book in front of her. “If you don’t mind, I have a few words to say.”

The people in the room, all 4 of them, turned to the Captain. Tim took Ellen's hand, curious what Meru had to say.

Alenis looked around the room for a moment and straightened her tunic. “Thank you. It is not every day that I am pressed into service as a marriage commissioner, so I hope I don’t ruin everything.” She took a deep breath. “We are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Timothy Rouse and Ellen Washington. Over the past several months, I have had the pleasure of knowing both of you. Ellen has always had a smile for me whenever I would go to sickbay, and Timothy… Tim, you are my friend and my closest confidant. In that time, I have had the pleasure of watching your relationship grow and blossom, from a chance encounter into something special.”

“I’m reminded of the tale of Krenneth and Airja in ancient Bajoran mythology. Two lovers, whose love burned so brightly that it brought light to the Kendra valley. Prevented by their d’jarras from engaging in earthly passions, they fled to the heavens, where they became the brightest stars in the southern hemisphere. For thousands of years, Airja would cross the night sky and Krenneth would follow, always at her side.” Alenis paused for a moment. “Of course, Starfleet knows them as BRX-1156 and Exulon B, but I think this is more romantic.”

“All too often, as scientists, we dismiss a great many things as silly superstitions. As a rationalist, we must know that the odds against true love are astronomical. Yet, be it due to a higher power or the kinship of all living things, here we stand, witnessing it. Just like Krenneth and Airja, Timothy and Ellen have a love that burns brightly as they streak across the heavens as part of this travelling family that we call the Portland.”

Almost choking up, Alenis paused for a moment and bowed before the bride and groom, an old Bajoran tradition. “Timothy, Ellen, it is my honour to marry you.”

Reaching into her pocket for the ring, a look of shock appeared on Meru’s face. “The ring,” she gasped, feeling a tidal wave of dread crash upon her. She had lost Tim’s ring, a priceless family heirloom, and ruined his wedding day. Frantically, she looked around the room. As she did so, her eyes locked with those of Ko-ko. Knowing that the bird liked shiny things, she called her over with a whistle. Flying over, the glint of gold and diamond catching the light caught her eye.

Ko-ko landed on the podium, dropped the ring into Tim’s hand, and then flew up to his favourite perch on on Meru’s left shoulder.

Meru cleared her throat, relieved. “Timothy, do you take Ellen to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?”

Looking into Ellen’s gorgeous blue eyes Tim’s mouth shaped in a smile before he said. “I do.”

“Ellen, do you take Timothy to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?”

“I do,” she said as she looked into Tim’s eyes.

Meru smiled. “By the power vested in me by Starfleet command, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Timothy, you may kiss the bride”

Tim needed to be told that twice. He lifted his head towards hers and touched her lips with his.

As Tim and Ellen kissed, slow, romantic classical music began playing. Maria and Judith, in perfect synchronization, stood at attention near the door, then drew each a silver cavalry saber and held it aloft, creating an arch over the door.
Commander Timothy Andrew Rouse
Executive Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:11 am

The next assignment...
Starbase 66
Authors: Captain Alenis Meru, Admiral Washington (NPC Meru), Commander Timothy Rouse, Lieutenant Jason Beauvoir, PO Ellen Washington (NPC Tim), Lieutenant Arthur Reynolds, Lieutenant Brad Silverton

With Raven on her shoulder and Washington by her side, Alenis strolled through Starbase 66 above Trill. The corridor that they were walking down had large windows on one side, showing the various ships in the starbase undergoing refits and repairs.

"So, I bet you are wondering what your new assignment is," said Washington, interrupting their idle chatter.

"Sir?" asked Alenis, a little surprised.

"Don't worry, it's only temporary." Washington paused for a moment. "While normally, a ship that old and that badly damaged would be cut up for scrap, I managed to pull a few strings. Apparently, there is a sentient being which can't be removed from the ship without collapsing her program, so Starfleet has no choice but to fix her up. And install a few upgrades while they're at it."

"Oh?" asked Alenis, concealing her excitement over the fact that the Portland family wasn't going to be split up, at least not yet. "What sort of upgrades?"

"You'll find out when you get her back." Washington turned towards the window and pointed out. "There, that's your new assignment," he said.

"The Prometheus?!" exclaimed Alenis, in surprise. As a tactical officer, she knew that with its multi-vector assault mode, the Prometheus class was extremely flexible in combat, but a challenge to command. Starfleet officers had to really know their tactics to get the most of the ship."

"No, in the docking bay next to it."

"A runabout?" Alenis was confused.

"That will take you to your next assignment," explained Washington. "Your rendezvous point is already set into its navigational computers, and you will find a PADD on the pilot's seat with your orders. There's not much else I can tell you; it's all classified, of course."

"Of course," replied Alenis as she strolled towards the docking hatch with the Admiral. Outside the hatch, though, she saw a familiar face, one which made her smile. "Tim," she said, looking at her executive officer and close friend. "I guess you just can't get away from me, can you?"

"No, apparently not. No matter how hard I try." he said with a chuckle.

--------------------------

Jason waited by at the docking hatch, he'd received orders to report here at this time, but very little else. He consulted the contents of the satchel, that hung from his shoulder, for what seemed like the hundredth time. He was nervous and a little angry, having just found out that Jena had lied to him and not with his sister, her aunt on the Endeavour.

"Good morning," Ellen said as she saw the Science officer who was already present at the hatch. "You got the call as well?"

"Bonjour, Miss Washington. Yes, do you have any idea what this is about?" Jason said.

"I might have an idea," Arthur admitted when he finally reached the hatch and overheard Jason's question, nothing but a PADD in his hand with tactical schematics of a certain ship. "But it's probably nothing." He held out a hand to shake, trying to be as cordial as humanly possible for someone with his background. "Arthur Couer-Reynolds, Chief of Tactical. Expert with guns, not-so-expert with people." With a smirk, and maybe even a chuckle, he added in an unintentionally smarmy tone, "Can't say I didn't warn ya."

Ellen accepted the offered hand. "Ellen Washington, I'm here in case you do something stupid and get hurt."

"Yeah, well, I try not to," Arthur answered in his usual, smarmy way before Jason spoke next.

"Bonjour, Mr. Couer-Reynolds, I am Jason Beauvoir, Chief Science Officer. I am also Ship's Linguist , but I am able to defend myself, should words fail." Jason said. His manner was amicable, but his voice was devoid of emotion.

"A gentleman and a scholar," Arthur exclaimed with an equal amount of sass. Some might mistake it for arrogance, as if he were looking down on them. Whether or not that was truly the case wasn't clear yet, however. "Well, it's nice meeting both of you. But I'm not gonna lie. I have a bad feeling about this little assignment. I can't be the only one... can I?"

"A pleasure to meet you too, Arthur." Jason said. "As for having a bad feeling about this assignment, I have learned when it comes to Starfleet, hope for the best, but plan for the worst."

Dr Silverton was a little late. Not terribly late mind you but almost enough to miss the departure. He wasn't sure about this new assignment. Not that he had a choice. Just that he was starting to get to an important point in some research in some new vaccines and the timing was critical. Nurse Hill would be able to monitor everything while he and Ellen were gone. He was relieved to see so many shipmates there. At least it wouldn't be boring.
Walking up behind everyone he announced himself, "So does anyone know what and where exactly we are going?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," Arthur answered aloud, but just under his breath, he muttered, "Unless I'm right."

When Ellen saw Tim and the Captain approach she raised her eyebrows in surprise. She didn't know Tim would also be on this away mission. In response to the unspoken question on her face Tim simply smiled. This would be their first away mission together. That was going to be interesting.

Stepping inside the runabout with Tim, Alenis was pleasantly surprised to see all her senior staff present. The idle chatter stopped and they all looked up at her. "Well, I suppose I couldn't ask for a better crew... of whatever ship we're on..."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:13 am

(fin)
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland