Tyrlai Zade
Chief Diplomatic Officer/Second Officer

Re: Mission 8: "The Freighters of Acquisition"

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:39 pm

The Freighters of Acquisition: Part 3
Runabout Indus
Near the end of Ep.7
Authors: Tyrlai Zade, aENS Jena Colm (NPC Jason), Ash Sullivan, Arthur Reynolds, Malbi tai-Konjah

Tyrlai twisted and tumbled as she arced through the bridge and managed to pass over the disuptor fire and snatch the helmet off the leader as she passed. She tossed it towards Arthur shouting, "find the transporter and swap out our problems." She hoped Arthur had a skillset to perform a two way transport on alien equipment. She spun around to meet a corner of the bridge ceiling and wall and sprang back towards the remaining Nausican.

At first, Arthur reached out to the helmet, only for a stray disruptor beam to catch it. With a loud curse, Arthur ducked again just as a disruptor blast also hit the console he was hiding behind. "Damn it, can someone take care of that?!" As if the universe wanted to give him one last finger, one of the disruptor blasts hit a pipe carrying a smoky compound which must've been part of the environmental system keeping the bridge warm for its new 'crew'. "Great," Arthur muttered bitterly under his breath as he looked for a way to reach the helmet floating listlessly in the distance. "That's great."

Tyrlai sailed towards the Nausican who was much better prepared than his counterpart. He swung in a wide circle as she approached, whe had to curl in a ball to avoid it and then kicked quickly, catching him with a glancing blow to his shoulder. The nausican caught himself with a clawed hand on a console and launched himself after her. Tyrlai meanwhile drifted back towards their leader and grabbed the gun, it was a momentary struggle that she was not well situated for, but it bought Arthur about eight seconds. She let go and kicked upwards, suddenly clanking against the bridge ceiling once more, just as the Nausican barrelled into its leader sending them both tumbling away.

As soon as Tyrlai made her bid for the commander, Arthur made his for the helmet. He caught it just in time to see the Nausicaan knock away the leader. Without any time to waste, he fuddled with it for a few seconds until he could fit it over his head - a minor miracle given its size and shape. Unfortunately, he continued to have trouble flailing about in zero gravity, hitting the ceiling as soon as the helmet fit snugly over his head. When he tried to speak, his words were translated into the metallic Breen language through the helmet's communication socket. "Somebody get that gravity back online!"

Tyrlai shifted her weight, spinning in the air just enough to catch the right console with one long arm, she was just stong enough to swing herself around slowly enough to not bounce off. Her eyes read the console. Recognizing some panel configurations. Others were mystifying but together she recognized a flashing dial reading close to naught and took a shot. The gravity switch to half force dropping everyone towards the deck.

When he could feel solid ground underneath his feet again, Arthur wasted no time in approaching the tactical console. Thanks to his advanced operations training, which included information on Breen technology captured during the Dominion War, he was able to quickly access the transporter systems and use his tactical training to jury-rig a site-to-site transport. With no more time to lose, he locked on to the Breen and her Nausicaan friends and 'energized' them into the transporter buffer while locking on to the only familiar signatures he could locate on the other end. "I've got 'em," he exclaimed as he pulled the other signatures in just before the scramblers could go active. "Energizing!"

-----------------------------------

"Take cover behind the console over there Jena. Don't worry, we're gonna get through this and I'm going to get you home safe." Ash said almost as much for his own comfort as for Jena's. She seemed brave but at 15 years old he knew deep down she had to be scared. "Those doors only have a few seconds left in them so I want you to hit the fire suppression system as soon as they break through. That should disorient them a little and give us a fighting chance. I'll concentrate my fire on the doors. Once the suppression system is on, please just keep yourself safe until the others figure out a way to transport us out." He locked eyes with Jena and held her gaze for a few seconds then tried to nod reassuringly. He then readied a compression rifle he had borrowed from the security office's weapons locker, wincing a little as he felt a sting in his shoulder from the earlier phaser blast.

Jena gave Ash a brave smile and a thumbs up.

Moments later a man-sized hole appeared in the doors. The girl activated the fire suppression system and then hid behind the console. She was wondering if she was about to meet the Prophets in person, when she felt the sensation of a transporter beam.

Ash opened fire as the security officers began moving through the doors. He looked over just in time to see Jena beam out, replaced by a very confused and angry looking Nausicaan. He'd jokingly considered the possibility of Tyrlai leaving him behind, but never thought she'd go through with it. With the Nausicaan now raising his weapon and the security team still pouring in, Ash was caught off guard and started to panic, not knowing where to fire. A bright bolt of energy discharged from the Nausicaan's disrupter, headed straight for Ash. In what he thought were his final moments, a feeling of peace and serenity seemed to wash over him. Or maybe that was just the transporter beam.

As she felt herself materialize inside the station, N'xybp felt her gun being grabbed away from her before she could even react. Before she knew it, force restraints were around her wrists. As she looked around the security office that she had found herself in, she saw her Nausicaan companions being held at gunpoint. "You are under arrest," barked the security officer in front of her as she sighed. "You have the right to remain silent..."

Rematerialising in the very alien looking freighter was disorienting at first but seeing the familiar faces of the rest of the away team filled Ash with relief. He looked around to make sure Jena was okay and sighed with relief when he saw her smiling excitedly. "Thanks for the beam out." He said simply before letting himself sprawl out on the floor of the freighter and letting out a deep sigh of relief.

"So, this a Breen freighter?" Jena asked with a smile, when she was sure all over her had made it through the transporter process. "Looks ominous, perhaps we should repaint it a nice mauve."

"Shields active," Arthur muttered in Breen as he quickly and anxiously pulled the helmet off his head. Though he wasn't claustrophobic, breathing in that helmet was more difficult than he had anticipated. He looked back at Tyrlai, only glancing at the two he'd presumably rescued. "If we're gonna go, we better do it now."

"I'd have to agree." Replied Ash pulling himself up to his feet and nursing his injured shoulder. "The station security had just made it back into the office when you beamed us out. It won't be long till they figure out the security protocols I disabled and lock down the hangar."

------------------------------------

Having finally found how the intraship communications work, Ferguson had been in Engineering listening to Bridge. "I'm glad everyone is finding their way around up there, but Engineering looks like a living cave with giant pulsing arachnid in the centre. Just be glad you can't smell it." He said.

Jena had studied bio-organic technology before, but this was the first time she had seen it for real. A giant pulsing arachnid sounded as interesting as it sounded frightening.

"Don't try their helmets then," Arthur responded almost as if that thought was an aside. As the adrenaline continued to surge through his veins, he took one step toward Tyrlai and reiterated, "We have to leave, now." The last thing he wanted was her 'indecisiveness' to lead to their early deaths. "Starfleet diplomacy's not going to save us here, commander."

Tylai picked up the helmet and placed it over her head. Her thoughts were towards departure sequences and the ship thrummed to life around them. There was a station with extra displays left of center of the bridge area. She walked over to it and started ‘reading’ the odd dotted language on the panel. A few buttons, switches and tendrils later and they were floating our towards the open hangar bay doors.
Tyrlai Zade
Second Officer / Diplomatic Officer
USS Portland

Tyrlai Zade

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 pm

The Big Talk
When: After Freighter Finale
Where: The Breen Freighter
Authors: Tyrlai Zade and Ash Sullivan

Safe and sound on the freighter, en route to a rendezvous with the captain's runabout, Ash decided he should familiarise himself with the layout of the freighter and stay the hell away from the bridge and Tyrlai. He jogged through the empty corridors, deck by deck trying to paint a mental map for himself. He also had a tricorder attached to his belt making a digital map for the records. Rounding a corner he was caught of guard by a figure standing directly in his way. He just narrowly avoided bowling over the figure but ended up tripping over his own feet and slamming shoulder first into a bulkhead.

Tyrlai had noticed the flash of movement and sidestepped just in time, turning in a half circle as he hit the wall. She pulled a medical scanner from her belt and ran it over him as he lay on the deck. The scanner whirred and she frowned. "I'm not really this kind of a doctor, how's your shoulder?"

Ash looked up to see Tyrlai standing over him with a tricorder. He was a little dazed and didn't respond at first, "Uhhhh... It'll be fine I think." He said pulling himself back to his feet on the bulkhead and rubbing his shoulder which was a lot more sore than he was going to let on. "What are you doing down here?"

"It's a Breen freighter," she said, looking back and forth, "I've never seen one before and the list of things I can say that about aren't as long as most peoples. Now, why is it that you aren't on the starbase you are supposed to be posted to?"

Ash gave Tyrlai a puzzled look, as he briefly thought back to their encounter. Surely he didn't lie about his position on the Portland, he had no reason to. "Starbase? What are you talking about?" He asked.

"Hmmm," she said brushing a lock of hair from her brow, "It is possible that I just made that assumption, but still you ran with it. And that is just as bad. I take it you are stationed on Portland?"

"Oh I'm the bad guy here. You didn't even tell me you were with Star Fleet. Given that we were on Trill I think my assumption that you were a local was a lot more forgivable than your assumption I wouldn't be on the same ship as you." Ash responded defensively, he wasn't going to roll over and take the blame that easily.

"So you admit to being the bad guy," Tyrlai said with her usual diplomatic efficiency. "I accept your apology." She closed her scanner with a click and crossed her arms, shifting her hips and flipping back her long raven hair. "As for any assumptions I may have allegedly made, Im sure they were normal and reasonable."

"Very funny." Ash said rolling his eyes, "I wonder if the captain would see things from your point of view if she found out you were fraternising with a junior officer?"

Tyrlai thought about things, the Portland had been somewhat different from her other postings. The goings on with the holo-Alenis, the Science Officers ponn-far infatuation and possible werewolf disorder, the XO impregnating the Admirals daughter. She smirked, for the first time in her career she was practically on the straight and narrow. "Let me know how that works for you, Ensign. Fraternization between officers is a two way street, its not like your an enlisted grade or anything. Be sure to mention how you were drinking while hitting on the native girls, poor defenseless native girls, a lifetime in the science labs doesn't prepare them for you roguish space hero types."

"Okay, okay, jokes and threats aside. We're going to be serving on the same ship for the foreseeable future and if this mission is anything to go by, we're not going to be able to just ignore each other. The Portland's not a huge ship." Ash said trying to return things to a more professional conversation.

Tyrlai looked like the choice between jokes and the professional conversation was a difficult one and paused for a few moments. "Okay, fine. The truth is, I'm almost eight hundred years old and sadly enough have done this before. Cedria Zade was the second officer on the Hood when she and the chief engineer had a momentary thing, a somewhat less physical thing but a thing. The point is, it all worked out just fine." The last part was a complete lie but she was good at those after four lifetimes of diplomacy. "If it helps, we're going to be wearing dog shaped masks for large amounts of our next couple weeks. After that, you can hide in the science department, or wherever it is you will be working. It might be easier just to be friends though."

Shaking off the initial shock of finding out he'd hooked up with someone who was almost eight hundred and remembering that Tyrlai was a Trill and so, hopefully, talking about her symbiont, Ash smiled and replied in a mockingly prideful tone "I'm security actually. Chief in fact, just got a promotion before this little adventure. Not to brag or anything." He chuckled, "But I agree, friends would be easier." He said, offering a handshake.

Tyrlai shook his hand and smiled. "Commander," she said, pointing to where her pips would be if she was wearing a proper uniform instead of the form-fitting unitard and Breen style cargo pants, also omitting the lieutenant part of her commandership. "So you should probably salute and stammer nervously and such. 'Cause I could go power mad and make you polish all the railings in here." She looked around and the Breen freighter did not appear to have any railings. "Though I suppose, 'congratulations' would have been friendlier. You know what I was pretty friendly the other night, it all averages." She tapped some commands into her handcomp, "So your name is Ashley, eh? I was a bartender on earth for a couple years and I could have sworn that was a girls name."

Ash cocked his head to one side and squinted in mock disbelief, "That's low." He replied.

"Freindly banter." Tyrlai replied. "At least this is how it was done at the bar I worked at. Now you say something like, I'm too athletic and not good at math. That's how you insult a Trill by the way."

"You know you were right before. I must have been drinking pretty heavily to take you home from the club because you're annoying. Be honest, did you spike that ice whisky to get me sleep with you?" Ash replied sarcastically.

"Oh, I am most definitely a nightmare. Fortunately it generally takes people some time to figure that out. You've been fast-tracked is all. And the ice whiskey is synthahol, I don't actually drink for real. Not since I was fourteen." Tyrlai motioned down the corridor, an invitation to continue the conversation while walking.

As they started walking, Ash winced as a sharp pain shot through his shoulder. It was the same shoulder he'd taken a disruptor blast to in the security office and he had just patched it up as best he could with a dermal regenerator. Slamming into the wall must have aggravated it. "Did we bring a real doctor along on this trip?" He asked.

Tyrlai stopped, sudenly concerned, and ran the scanner over his shoulder again. She looked over the readout more closely the second time. "I'm like this too, pretending something isn't as bad as it is. You have a tear in your shoulder, can't say exactly what, you mammals are strangely put together. I sent a transmission to have Alenis bring us a pair of field medics. Until then I'll have a go, I had two courses in field medicine while I was at the academy, I might be able to at least knit the tear enough to prevent further damage 'till our help arrives."

"Any excuse to get me out of my uniform again?" Ash replied with a laugh that he instantly regretted as his shoulder once again flared with pain.

"There you go with the banter," Tyrlai smirked a little, "remember that laughing feeling just now because we only have the runabout first aid pack, you may need to be stitched without anesthetic."

"I've had worse. I think I'll be okay." Ash replied as the pair continued walking.

"I'll make sure there are tissues, just in case you need to dab tears."

Ash very carefully considered giving Tyrlai the old hip-and-shoulder straight into the wall but in his current state he'd risk doing more damage to himself than to her and for all he knew she'd have him thrown out an airlock just to get even.
Tyrlai Zade
Second Officer / Diplomatic Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:08 am

Confession
When: After Freighter Finale
Where: The Breen Freighter
Authors: Tyrlai Zade and Coln Jena

Jena finally found Tyrlai, she felt bad about lying to her friend and decided to get it off her chest.

"Tyrlai have you got a minute she asked?"

Tyrlai pulled the Breen helmet she was working with off and looked over at the young woman. "Everything alright?"

"I'm sure you've already realised this, but Jason didn't exactly let me go on this mission." Jena said.

"You are lucky we were already here before I noticed you onboard. Of course Jason wouldn't have let you come. If we had been headed for Risa he still wouldn't have let you come. I'd have left you with the runabout but I couldn't have gotten to the runabout in time to save you if there had been trouble. So, my question then, what have you learned?"

Jena thought for a moment. "Fire fights aren't fun, don't lie to my father and my friends, and try not to grow up too fast." She said.

Tyrlai concentrated for a moment. "That sounds mostly right. Also never assume you can get away with anything, that almost never works out. And be very afraid of the day you do." Tyrlai Zade turned around and looked the younger girl straight in the eye, her tone dead serious for once. "When I was twelve I ran away, I was very clever, got to the orbital station. But my parents, you see, they didn't come for me. Two hops later I was captured by an Orion raider. Do you have any idea what Orion pirates do with young girls?"

"I can imagine, but I'd rather not." Jena said. "Anyway, I get your point."

"Stay smart, stay safe. I am usually a ships councilor and if there is one thing I can promise you it's that Starfleet has plenty of crazy people to handle the dangerous stuff." She handed the helmet to Jena. "I have adjusted this one to your bio-signature, your punishment job is to find out what each of these workstations does," Tyrlai pointed to a row of a dozen along the wall, "and label them with this marker. Without, dropping us out of warp, firing weapons or breaching anything. Got it?"

Jena put the helmet on and said. "By your Command." Before getting to work.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Return to “The Bridge”