Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Re: Mission Four: "Requiem"

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:22 am

Fixing the Damage...
Engineering, USS Portland
2412, after "Stowaway"
Authors: Sera Williams, Nikki Barclay (played by Alenis Meru)

In engineering, Nikki was even more of a nervous wreck than usual. She had just been attacked by an old friend, and had barely escaped getting seriously injured or worse. While Tolaran was stopped, he had done his share of damage before being taken down. The port plasma relays had overloaded, and blew out half the EPS relays on three decks. While her quick actions had prevented the ship from losing all power, they were still far from full capacity.

As she ran from console to console, desperately trying to keep the automation systems from failing and the ship from losing all power, she heard the whoosh of the engineering doors. She slowly and carefully reached for a hyperspanner to defend herself with before turning around suddenly.

"Stay away, I'm armed and danger..." as she recognized the person at the door, Nikki trailed off and then breathed a sigh of relief. It was one the one person who could help her, the one person who knew the Portland's systems better than her. "Sera! Oh my god, while you were on the bridge I was attacked! By Tolaran, of all people! It was so scary, and--" she was interrupted by a beeping coming from one of her consoles. "Quick, help me with these EPS flow systems! We need to get the automation systems online, and get the phase cloak working again."

Sera stepped out of the turbolift. "Don't shoo... hit me with that," Sera said, nodding toward the hydrospanner. She wiped another tear away as she ran to one of the Engineering Consoles that wrapped around the Warp Core. She began to input commands as fast as a person who had spent 15 years as the Chief of Engineering of the ship could have.

"I've set up containment fields around the most damaged areas," she said as she paused. The last thing they needed was to have an EPS conduit overload while they were making repairs. With the two of them working alone, they would need to only repair the minimum to keep the ship from breaking up and to get the Phase Cloak operational.

Taking a look at the damage report, Sera shook her head. This would be a long day. They had to make these repairs with the ship staying at warp. Fortunately, the damage was contained to Main Engineering. "Nikki, work on keeping the EPS converter operational, we need to keep as much stress off the Core as we can. I'll work on the EPS conduits in here."

"Will do," replied Nikki as she got to work. As she tapped frantically at a console in front of her, a funny thought came to her head. "Imagine," she said out loud, "after all these years, me and you, back together in this place, trying to keep the ship together once again."

"I can replicate some sand peas if you'd like," Sera joked. "How many times have we kept this ship from breaking apart?" Sera asked aloud. A few sparks spewed from her console, but Sera kept herself together and was able to divert the excess power to non-vital systems. "Some things never change."

"That they don't," replied Nikki, a certain lightheartedness in her voice as she adjusted the flow regulators. "Sera," she added, her tone turning serious, "do you think this plan is going to work?"

Sera placed her coil spanner above the display of the blown out Main Engineering console. With a swift smack, the console flickered as it came back to life. Sera looked back at her friend, then said, "I trust Tyrlai and I trust the crew. I'm not sure about the Captain, but I know that we'll find a way."

Switching tools to the isolinear spanner, Sera turned back to her work. Her voiced dropped and took a sad tone, "Marcus... he stopped the Eclipse."

Nikki took a deep breath and, having gotten the flow more or less stable, placed her micro-resonator aside and turned to her friend. She could tell by the tone in Sera's voice that something horrible had happened. "Is he..." she managed to utter, a tear coming to her eye.

"Yes..." was all that Sera could muster. If this had been 20 years ago, she might have collapsed into a sobbing mess. However, a career in Starfleet with the last five in the Captain's chair had taught her that things like this happened in the line of duty.

Sera replaced her tools into her trusty toolkit. She forced a smile and said, "Well, the Main Engineering Console is repaired." She tapped a few commands to bring up a more detailed look at the damage report. With a relived sigh, she announced, "It's not as bad as it seems. Most of the damage seems to be to the EPS relays in Engineering, as long as we can get it stable."

Forcing a small joke, she said, "We should be able to fix it in an hour, maybe we shuold tell them three hours... we still have to keep up the 'miracle workers' appearance."

Nikki smiled slightly at the joke; it was all she could muster with how distraught she was over the death of Marcus. "That... sounds like a plan," she replied as she grabbed her toolkit. Right now, she could tell that both of them needed something to focus on, and given their years of experience, repairing EPS relays was an almost zen-like experience. "I'll start on the upper deck and we'll meet in the middle, ok?"
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Timothy Rouse
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Mess Hall, USS Eclipse
With: Andy Rouse (Played by Timothy) and Selina Williams (Played by Sera Williams)

In a dark corner of the mess hall, Andy Rouse sat there, alone, pushing some Ratamba stew back and forth across his plate. Though the Bajoran dish was one of his favourite foods and he knew he had to eat after being on the bridge for hours on end, he wasn't hungry. Nor did he feel much like talking, which was why he wasn't in his usual seat.

Instead, he just stared at his food. Occasionally, he would look out at the stars for a moment -- the ship had finally gotten under way again after retrieving their warp core and undoing the damage that the Borg intruder did, though not without giving the Portland a massive head-start -- but then return back to his intense focus on the plate in front of him. But seeing a shadow appear over his table, he looked up.

"What do you want?" he asked in a glum tone, seeing the female figure before him.

"Seat taken?" asked Selina. She placed her tray with the hasperat on the table then sat in the open chair, not giving Andy a chance to say no. "You know, we just might be the only Humans in Starfleet who love Bajoran food so much," she noted with a hint of her characteristic lopsided grin.

"Is that why your here? To discuss our apperent love for a kind of food?" He asked.

Selina shook her head as she replied, "Look, both of us were on the Bridge. My sister and your father, we both had family on the Portland. She paused for a moment, not sure how to continue. "I've... never had to do something like that. Are you ok? I'm not sure if I am."

He looked at her and tried to deside wether to stay angry at no one in general or not. He sighed deeply. "I don't know if I'm sure. He's my father, but he's not my dad. He abondoned my mother and me when I was young. I always thought I hated him for that. But now..."

"But now, you don't know what you feel," Selina sympathetically finished for the cadet. "I lived aboard the ship for six years before I went to the Academy. Your father may not have been the best Captain, or even the best person, but he always tried."

"I know that. He was a great officer and also a great Captain, before his meltdown. Even my mum tells me so. Anyway, how are you holding up? You actually know and love the people on that ship."

"I don't know," Selina said as she spun the hasperat on her trey with the fork, suddenly not as hungry. "Part of me wanted to see them escape," she admitted, almost embarrassed.

Andy smiled slightly. "Me too, that's what's making this whole situation so strange."
Commander Timothy Andrew Rouse
Executive Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:19 pm

A question of faith...
Captain's Office, USS Portland
Shortly after Eclipse vs. Portland
Authors: Vedek Meru, Timothy Rouse

Vedek Meru paused outside the door of the captain's office of the USS Portland. Even after all the refits and upgrades over the life of the vessel, the captain's office remained the same. She was used to being on the other side of the door, however that was a lifetime ago. Pausing for a moment to gather her thoughts, she rang the chime.

"Come in," called out the voice on the other side.

"Tim," said the Vedek as she walked through the door into the office. Though almost everything from her time in this office had long since been removed, there was a certain familiarity to this room. "I need to talk to you."

"Of course," replied Tim, a little puzzled at the distressed look on the hologram's face. "What's this about?"

"It's about Marcus," replied Meru. "And... about the mission. I just wonder if the price we're paying is too steep for--"

"Don't tell me you, of all people, are losing faith," countered Tim, suprised at Meru's admission. And somewhat annoyed; they had fought so hard to get where they were, and now she was talking about giving up halfway? "You're a Vedek, damn it! Whatever happened to all that stuff about the will of the prophets and how they work in mysterious ways?"

"It's not that, it's just..." Meru trailed off, not sure how exactly to explain it.

"Just what?"

Meru stared out the window at the stars for a moment. It was something she used to do, back when she was known as Captain Alenis Meru, to focus her thoughts. Returning her gaze to Tim, she continued. "I know the captain better than anyone. I used to be her. And I know she would give her life to protect her crew. Seeing crew members dying to try to save her... I'm not sure that's what the captain would have wanted."

Tim sighed deeply. The hologram did have a point. "But this isn't just about the captain. This is about Tyrlai as well; we can't just let her die too. As for Marcus... we all knew the risks we would be taking and sacrifices we would be making when we decided to embark on this mission. We all decided to make that choice, and any one of us could have stayed on the starbase. We did this of our own free will, and we can't let the captain doubt us from beyond the grave. Besides, with the visions I've seen..." He stared into Meru's eyes. "Maybe, just maybe, the prophets will make everything right."

"Maybe..." replied Meru, a faint smile appearing on her lips. "You know, if we somehow survive this and don't get thrown in jail for the rest of our lives, I know a temple that could use a maintenance man. Someone to do the gardening, operate the moisture collectors, and maintain the holo-emitters for their Vedek..."

A smile appeared on Tim's face for the first time in a long while. "I'd be honoured," he replied.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Tolaran in Trouble
Sickbay, USS Portland
2412, Shortly after Eclipse vs Portland
Authors: Timothy Rouse, Vedek Meru, Brad Silverton, Zirra Kajat (played by Jason Beauvoir), Tolaran Kian

With the holographic Vedek at his side, Tim bounded into sickbay where he saw Brad standing over someone who he had not seen in a long time, with Zirra standing guard. He could see signs of a scuffle -- blood stains on their uniform, and a bruise the size of a hyperspanner on Zirra's snout. "Doctor, how is our patient doing?" he asked, in an unpleasant tone.

"Not too bad; I've repaired his broken nose and most of his bruising. Zirra sure did a number on him."

"Wake him," replied Tim. "We need to talk."

Tolaran didn't feel the hypospray as it was pressed against his neck, he let out a soft moan as the pain from his encounter with the Gorns fist and his face came back to the forefront of his mind, he slowly opened his eyes, knowing he probably wasn't going to wake to the best view in the galaxy and before he'd even fully come to his senses his training kicked in and he knew was standing by his side.

"Hello Tim... it's been a long time."

"I wish I could say it's a pleasure," replied Tim in a less than enthusiastic voice. "But you've come here uninvited and haven't exactly been a good guest, what with taking out the port plasma relays and attacking one of my crew." He stared down at Tolaran, anger in his eyes. "Who sent you. Why are you here?"

Tolaran sat up and stifled a laugh and met Tim's gaze without looking away or worry. "Let's clear up a couple of points here... firstly, I didn't attack anyone first, your Gorn friend has that honour and I tried to avoid a fight. Second, uninvited? Really... coming from you, you stole this ship so that's hardly invited. You are planning on changing the timeline, this is a breach of directives we cannot allow Tim, it is not personal."

"Tim is doing the work of the prophets," interjected the holographic Vedek.

"I'm trying to fix the timeline! And save Tyrlai!" exclaimed Tim, his eyes filled with anger. While he would have expected Starfleet to do anything to try to stop him, with Tolaran, it was personal. Anyone else would have just been a random Starfleet operative, but Tolaran... he was his former crew. To Tim, this was a betrayal. "I had a vision... you don't understand!"

Tolaran returned the angry look from Tim, he had spent so many years working in Section 31, they didn't understand the things he'd fixed, stopped and begun all in the preservation of the Federation."No offense to you... Vedek, but seeing as you are a fragment of the former Captain you must know the importance of protecting timelines... I'm not here for Starfleet, I work outside their jurisdiction" Tolarans look softened, his eyes turning back to Tim "You could destroy so much, more than you think you might fix...but what do you mean about saving Tyrlai?!"

"She touched the shard, so many years ago..." said Tim, trailing off. He paused for a moment to gather his thoughts and consider whether to volunteer any additional information to the man he caught sneaking around his ship. "She's been aging in reverse; getting weaker and weaker. She doesn't have much time left. The orb... it's our only hope."

Tim's eyes narrowed, though, as something Tolaran said finally clicked. "Now, I can understand why Starfleet might want to stop us. Grand theft starship tends to be frowned upon in their ranks. But you said you weren't here for Starfleet... who sent you, and why?"

"Starfleet would never have placed me on the Portland if I was with security forces Tim, I don't think I really have to tell you who I work for, considering how much effort they've spent protecting the timelines over the decades. I wasn't even told who was stealing the ship, just someone would be and I was to get in touch with my contact. I'm only being honest with you out of decency and because I have failed my mission." Tolaran stretched, his body stiff and aching still from the fight in Engineering, starting to feel his age he supposed. "What is your plan Tim? I don't know Meru but Tyrlai is another matter."

"Our plan..." Tim trailed off and looked over at Vedek Meru standing next to him. He didn't know if he could trust Tolaran; after all, if he was sneaking around the Portland, who knows what he could be up to. But on the other hand, with him safely in custody, it wasn't as though he could do any damage. Tim simply offered the vedek a hint of a smile. "Our plan is to follow the will of the prophets, isn't that right?"

"Right," added Meru. "The will of the prophets."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Arrival in the Badlands
Bridge, USS Portland
2412, Several hours after Eclipse vs. Portland
Authors: Timothy Rouse, Vedek Meru, Captain Sera Williams, Tyrlai Zade, Coln Jena (played by Jason Beauvoir), Tolaran Kian

As Timothy Rouse, the closest thing the Portland had to a captain right now, sat on the bridge and stared out at the swirling orange gases and plasma streams of the Badlands, he knew he was in the right place. He remembered it from the vision; a swirling, glowing, orange mist everywhere. He was by no means a religious man, but even though he had left Starfleet, the science training that all officers had taken had never quite left him. He was trained to see patterns and correlations, and this was definitely more than a coincidence.

He smirked slightly and locked eyes with the Vedek at his side for a moment. If this somehow worked and he somehow managed to avoid being thrown in a jail for the rest of his life, he'd dedicate the rest of his life to serving the prophets. Perhaps there was a small temple somewhere in the Okona desert whose Vedek could use someone to maintain her holo-emitters. "Helm, what is our ETA?" he called out.

"We'll be there in about 10 minutes," replied Sera, still taking over at helm.

"Excellent. Summon Tyrlai to the bridge."

Tyrlai Zade stepped through the turbolift shortly after the summons. She was pale and a little unsteady as she walked over to a nearby console. She looked up at Tim and spoke as she tapped on the console slowly. "These coordinates are rough, we are looking for a heavy deuterium hull signature, a Bajoran industrial freighter. With luck we will be able to lock onto the shards with a transporter. But to get close enough we need the phased cloak, the hull of that ship attracts the particle storms in the badlands, its always got two or three in close contact."

"Fortunately, Sera and Nikki managed to get the phase cloak back online, but just barely," chimed in Vedek Meru. "Our little friend did quite the number on the ship's systems, isn't that right?"

"It took a bit of work, but the phase cloak is online. If we get too close to a plasma stream, it may knock the cloak offline... or let us fall through the ship." Sera replied. She knew the ship better than most, and even she didn't know what 'could' happen.

"Duly noted," replied Tim. "Helm, take us in. Scan for the freighter, and keep an eye out for any approaching signals. I don't want to get interrupted here..."

The Vedek stood up and walked over to Tyrlai. Tyrlai looked not a day older than when they had first met, perhaps even a few years younger. Pale and ill, the Vedek could tell that whatever the prophets had in mind, she could tell that this would be Tyrlai's last hope as well. "How are you feeling, my child?" she whispered in Tyrlai's ear, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

Tyrlai shook her head, steadying herself with one hand on the console. "All those shards, " her eyes got distant as if peering through time. "I would see people get visions, they all seemed to be comforted in some small way. I get one damn vision and people haven't stopped dying since, since,... well, you."

"The prophets work in mysterious ways," replied Vedek Meru in a soft voice. "They offer us guidance, truth, clarity... but sometimes those truths are painful ones. As she stared into Tyrlai's eyes, she could see the pain in her. Reaching up, she held the Trill's earlobe between her thumb and her forefinger, feeling her presence. "Your pagh is strong," she said, massaging it gently.

"I'm picking up energy signatures similar to those of the orbs ." Jena said from Ops. "Sending the coordinates to the helm now."

"Take us in," replied Tim from the center chair. "And keep an eye out for any approaching signatures. I don't want whatever we're doing to be interrupted by Captain Swagger Stick."

"Sir, the Eclipse is closing fast." Jena reported. "Also the freighter is close enough for us to see."

"Let us hurry then," replied Tim. "Tyrlai, Jena, make preparations to recover the shards."

The badly damaged freighter hung motionless silhouetted in the myriad coloured plasma storms and eddies that made up the Badlands. A sudden energy discharge stuck the forlorn craft, lighting up like fire works at a Federation Day celebration.

Tolaran walked onto the bridge of the Portland with his Gorn guard in tow, the phaser ready at a moments notice to shoot him, looking around with a grim reminder of the situation as the rag tag group Tim had got together fought for their former Captain, an attempt to change the time line that could be disastrous. Then his gaze fell upon Tyrlai, when he'd found out her life was in danger he'd made the decision that he would try and help but not for Meru, he'd never served with her but he'd become good friends with his fellow Trill over their time together on the Portland and her being joined had never caused an issue between them. He noticed a few glances his way and where once as a young man he would have felt embarrassed, he stood tall and proud and looked at the freighter in the viewscreen.

"How close is the Eclipse Tim?" Tolaran walked towards Tim only for his 'guard' to hold him back, he shrugged them off with an angry glance "I may be able to help..."

"A couple minutes out." Tim swiveled in his chair to face Tolaran. "Anything you could do would be most appreciated, but I'm going to have to insist that our Gorn friend and Captain Williams keep their eyes on you. I want no funny business."

Tolaran nodded and tapped his communicator "Arthur, you need to slow down or stop the Eclipse, there's more to this than they told us. Please Arthur, let me know you're receiving this..."

He looked at Tim, wondering what this additional information would mean, finding out one former crew member had tried to stop you was one thing, it was another to have two of them try.

"I don't know if he'll even respond, procedures will mean he shouldn't... but I have tried... I also have a cloaked shuttle in the bay, your scanners won't find it but it's there if you need it, it's locked to my biometrics so I'd need to pilot it."

The mention of the cloaked shuttle gave Tim an idea. "Is it a phased cloak?" he asked, a hint of excitement in his voice.

"Of course, I wouldn't have anything else on my ship..." Tolaran gave Tim the kind of look you'd give a child asking a silly question but then smiled and shrugged.

"Excellent. Captain Williams, you have the conn. I need you to make a distraction; hold off the Eclipse as long as you can." Timothy looked around the bridge. "Meru, Tolaran, Zirra... we're going in."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 am

Face-off
Sickbay, USS Portland
2391, MD04, Morning
Authors: Inaji Narale (played by Alenis Meru), Brad Silverton

With a blue sparkly glow, Inaji Narale materialized in the sickbay of the USS Portland. With her Cardassian features, she still couldn't be seen in public and had to sneak around, hiding out in her temporary quarters and using the transporter to get around. In anticipation of the procedure, she hadn't gotten a wink of sleep the night before. Soon, she would be able to look in the mirror again without seeing the Cardassian features of her oppressive farther.

"Doctor Silverton," called out Inaji, looking over at the young doctor working on his morning coffee. "Are we ready for the procedure?"

"Hello Inaji. Yes I think we are set to begin." Brad took a long draw from his coffee mug. "I sent the nurses off to inventory the medical supplies and to check the emergency away team med kits. That'll give us plenty of time." Brad set his coffee down and then looked back up at Inaji.

"Are you sure you want to go through with this? A body can only take so much reconstructive surgery even with advanced medicine of today. You may not be able to get it undone."

"Absolutely," replied Inaji, without hesitation. "It's the only way..."

Brad nodded in understandment. "Now for the fun part." He went back to his office and sat down. Spinning the screen around so that they both could see, he tapped on several commands. A generic Cardassian humanoid appeared. "How exactly do you want to look? We will be limited somewhat on your face and body but there are several options. Nose size, ear size, lip fullness. How do you see the fully Bajoran you?"

"The captain is my half-sister, so I would expect there to be a certain familial relationship," replied Inaji as she stepped over towards the screen and brought up a photo of the late Alenis Meru. "Apart from that, well... something inconspicuous. I'll just be happy to start over."

"Ok that sounds fine. We won't get too extreme with the changes. Which is good because you will need recovery time. The body isn't keen on removal of bone, adding of new tissue, and pygmentation alterations." Brad lowered the biobed to horizontal and began to make preparations. "You'll be quite sore for several days as your body adjusts to its new form. But it's little price for the benefit that far too few get."

"Thank you, doctor," replied Inaji as she sat down on the biobed. "One last request... would you happen to have a mirror? I'd like to take one last look at this face, to say goodbye."

"Of course." Brad heads over to a drawer and grabs a hand mirror then returns. He holds it up in front of her.

Inaji grabbed the mirror in her hands and held it up, staring into her own eyes. She took one last look at her face, the pale skin, the bony ridges... and her eyes. She had the same eyes as her sister; it was the only part of her face that she could bear to look at. Soon... she would be able to look at herself again.

A tear came to her eye and Inaji pressed the mirror back into Brad's hands. Quickly, she wiped the tear away and lay down on the biobed. "I'm ready, doctor."

Brad tapped away at the biobed and administered an anesthetic and spoke softly to Inaji as she slowly drifted to unconsciousness. "When you wake up you'll look like an all new person."

A faint smile appeared on Inaji's face as she drifted off. Finally, her long nightmare was over.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Ori Paiga
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Medical Officer

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Finding Time for a Check-up
USS Portland, Sickbay
Just after Meetings with the Admirals
Dr. Brad Silverton and Sera Williams

The last few weeks, months... Sera didn't know, had run together at ludacris speed. It was Starfleet protocal for all newly assigned officers to have a medical physical as soon as possible. Because of what had happened, Sera had never found time to drop in. Now that the ship was docked at DS9, her duties had been cut significantly in Engineering and she made an appointment.

With the all too familiar whoosh of the opening doors, Sera stepped into the Sickbay waiting area. She sat in one of the waiting chairs with a PADD in hand that contained the newest in warp field developments.

Brad came out of his office to see who had entered. He was alone in Sickbay, having sent Nurse Hill to conduct a routine inventory. He quickly recognized who it was and walked over to Sera.
"Ah Lieutenant Williams. What do I owe the pleasure of your visit to?"

Sera stood up with a friendly smile, then replied with a hint of embarrassment in her voice, "Well, I never came down for my mandatory physical when I boarded." With a shrug she added, "Now that we're docked and the engines are off, I can finally come by. Besides, we are basically shut down with the investigations."

Brad titled his head in surprise, "Of course you had your physical. You joined the Portland before we docked at Starbase. We did it...". Brad rolled his eyes up starring off trying to remember the time and date. "Actually I think you are right. Well with everything going on I don't think they will blame us. Let's get this knocked out then. Have a seat over on the biobed." Brad walked over to the biobed and pulled out a tricorder.

"Sure thing," was Sera's reply as she took a seat on the biobed. Being examined always gave her a bit of an uneasy feeling, especially since her mother had died of Irumatic Syndrome before she had gone to the Academy. To get over a but of the nervousness, Sera asked, "Have you been interrogated by the Daystrom Institute guy, Marcus I think his name is?"

"Ah Yes. Lieutenant Kallan. He did come by to continue the Admiral's inquiry. Asked a lot of the same questions the Admirals asked so I have to wonder what is really going on. I would have thought he would have had the notes from those sessions."

"I agree, I really hope a court martial isn't in the future... wouldn't look good on a new career." Sera replied, eyeing the medical tricorder.

"Court martial?! I don't see how it could come to that. We didn't break any rules or regulations. If anything we were potentially protecting life. We just needed more time to sort it out."

Sera breathed a small sigh of relief. "Lt. Kallan dropped by Engineering looking for Ensign Barclay. I think he wants to boot up the EMH to see what we created. I don't know how close he is with the Admirals, but I'll be happy when all this is behind us." She looked around Sickbay and noticed for the first time that it seemed really empty. "Slow day?" she asked.

"Slower than most. I was able to send off Maria to do inventory in the supply rooms." He stopped his scan and had his head looking off in the distance. Turning back to facing Sera he asked, "So what do you think? Did we create a full on A.I. or just a very convincing holodeck program?"

Using an obviously fake mysterious sounding voice to lighten the topic, Sera replied, "That is the question of the day isn't it." She then switched to her normal tone, then added, "I don't know. The EMH is more than any other hologram I've seen, but... what makes something truly alive?" Knowing that she really didn't answer the question at all, Sera shrugged and said, "I think we have a full A.I. but I've never seen one outside her."

"THAT is a very good question. What makes an A.I.? Perhaps what we should be asking ourselves instead is what makes a person. We were all in the middle of figuring out what we had created, and then the captain died. I can't help but think we might had afterwards convinced ourselves that the captain is living on in this program. At least I know I have that concern." Brad sighed slightly.

"I'm not a fan so far of Lt. Kallan but I am glad he and his expertise are here to figure it out."

Sera had no choice but agree with the doctor's assessment of the officer. She added, "At least the Admirals seem to be actually be trying to determine what actually happened." She gave Brad's statement about A.I.'s a bit of thought, then said, "Who knows, maybe in some alternate universe there is a holographic Captain Alenis leading the Portland. I don't think Starfleet would've ever allowed that."

"No you are probably right they probably won't." Brad concluded his scans that he ran a second time just to be sure. "Lieutenant. I presume past doctors have discussed with you your predisposition for Irumodic Syndrome?"

The Chief Engineer breathed in deep, this was the part of the conversation that she never looked forward to having with doctors. Her time with the Worm Hole Alien had placed this fear more prominently in her mind. Letting out her breath in as a worried sigh, Sera replied, "Yes, my mother died of complications to the disease before I went to the Academy. I've never been tested to see if I have the mutation, though."

"I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I don't think there is much to worry about for you. I'm not seeing anything more than having a predisposition. But as you have not been fully tested we should do that when you have time."

"Thank you, for the kind words and the reasurrance. Could we schedule it now? My plate looks pretty clear for the moment." At that moment, Sera's commbadge went off, Ensign Martinez informed her of some minor emergency in Engineering. "I guess that answers it. We'll have to schedule it."

Sera gave an appreciated smile, then said as she walked out of Sickbay, "Thanks for working me in."
Lt. (JG) Ori Paiga
Chief Medical Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Where your loyalties lie, part I
Somewhere in the Badlands
2412, immediately after "Arrival in the Badlands"
Authors: Captain del Bolero (played by Alenis Meru), Cmdr. Arthur Reynolds, Ensign Selina Williams (played by Sera Williams), Timothy Rouse, Lt. Cmdr. Tolaran Kian

USS Eclipse

Clutching his swagger stick, Captain Alhambra del Bolero strolled onto the bridge of the Eclipse as they closed in on the badlands with the Portland inside. Rouse and his gaggle of outlaws and misfits had gotten the better of him once, but that wasn't going to happen again.

"Commander Reynolds," called out the captain as he made his way to the center chair. "I trust we won't let these scoundrels escape again?"

Unfortunately for Arthur, Marcus had succeeded. Something about the Portland kept Arthur from beaming over successfully, and now he found himself stumbling back to the bridge with a massive headache from the incident. Whatever the case, he soon took his station and acknowledged the captain with a tone that belied his anger at having failed at an important mission once more: "Not again, sir."

"Very good," replied the captain. "Now, as for our current situation, these rogues have stolen Starfleet property, sabotaged an entire starbase, and sent one of their own on a suicide mission against our vessel. They are armed and dangerous, and we are authorized to use lethal force to stop them. Do I make myself clear?"

"Clear as always, sir," Arthur said bitterly as he punched a few commands into his console. He was making an additional scan with the ship's top-of-the-line long-range sensors, fully expecting the Portland not to be alone. Fresh in his mind, however, was Tolaran's warning. If they were aiming to change the past to correct a mistake, that meant a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity now presented itself. Whether or not he could take advantage of it was another matter...

Selina shifted uncomfortably at her station. She hated that she had to be part of this particular mission. Why was she chosen to be the Chief Operations Officer aboard Starfleet's newest and best ships? She would've been happy to serve on one of the older Nebulas or maybe even a Steamrunner, but here she was... tasked to stop her sister and the crew she had grown up with. "Clear, sir," she tried her best to sound convincing, but it might not have succeeded.

"Excellent."

Tolaran's Shuttle

As the Portland turned to engage the Eclipse, the doors to their shuttlebay opened and closed again; just long enough for a small cloaked shuttle to launch and head towards the freighter.

Using the phased cloak to keep the shuttle just slightly out of phase would enable them to avoid most of the hazards of the badlands, not to mention simply phase through the freighter and grab the orbs without even stepping off the shuttle. But it was still a dangerous task. Too close to a plasma discharge and that could wreck the shuttle, out of phase or not. Not to mention what would happen if the phased cloak failed while they were occupying the same physical space as the freighter.

"I'm terribly sorry about the Gorn," said Tim, referring to Zirra, who was standing just behind the pilot's seat, her hand gripping Tolaran's shoulder tightly, "but after that little incident in sickbay, I need to have some... assurances."

"Don't apologise, there's no need... I understand. But I'd rather she stopped touching me. I'm not going to do anything to jeopardise her, and I don't mean Meru. You know Tim, despite the past I don't have any ill feelings towards you, but this mission is crazy."

Tolaran moved his fingers deftly over the controls and he moved them slowly towards the freighter, he'd never liked the badlands, it was too dangerous for his liking even with the phase cloak, he also kept his eyes on the status of the Portland...

"I was a Starfleet officer once, remember? Crazy is just par for the course," replied Tim as he pulled out a case containing four pairs of glasses. "If Sera and Marcus are correct, these should enable us to see what we're doing even when we're out of phase. As for the shards..." Tim motioned towards a large magnetic field case with Bajoran inscriptions on it, "the plan is simple. Drop out of phase, fly the shuttle through the freighter, and grab them in the case. Think you can handle that?"

"Can I handle that... honestly" Tolaran snorted with disgust "I may have been your security chief Tim but I held other positions after the Portland before Section 31 approached me, we don't do the simple missions, we handle what others can't, so yes, I think I can handle it." He shook his head as he continued to pilot the shuttle, this was far more intricate than any shuttle Tim would have flown, the man was probably just trying to frustrate him...

"Good. Adjust our phase variance to four point seven terahertz. That should allow us to pass through matter in this universe with a minimum of fuss. And take us in"

"Yes yes, of course. I have amended our phase variance, I hope you'll be ready for whats to come because once we get this we're going to have to help the Portland, Sera is doing well, unfortunately Arthur has not responded to my request, this means he considers me rogue or doesn't believe me and in that case once we have the case and return to normal space what would you like me to do, I can get you off the shuttle with your precious cargo and then my shuttle can assist in disabling the Eclipse..."

"That would be most appreciated, Tolaran," replied Tim, before looking down at the screen in front of him. "I'm pinpointing the location of the shards as in the forward cargo bay, near the forward bulkhead, on the starboard side." He paused for a moment and sighed deeply, taking a look back at Meru for a brief moment, letting her reassure him with a a smile. "Now let's grab some shards."

Tolaran smiled slightly and turned back to the controls, following Tim's directions he piloted the shuttle gently in to place after a couple of minutes of delicate positioning before turning to his passengers. "We're here..."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Where your loyalties lie, part II
Authors: Captain Sera Williams, Coln Jena (played by Jason Beauvoir), Gregory Rathcliffe (played by Eilis Ross), Captain Alhambra del Bolero (played by Alenis Meru), Cadet Andy Rouse (played by Timothy Rouse), Commander Valentine "Val" Dubois (played by Jason Beauvoir)

Last time, on Star Trek: Portland

"That would be most appreciated, Tolaran," replied Tim, before looking down at the screen in front of him. "I'm pinpointing the location of the shards as in the forward cargo bay, near the forward bulkhead, on the starboard side." He paused for a moment and sighed deeply, taking a look back at Meru for a brief moment, letting her reassure him with a a smile. "Now let's grab some shards."

Tolaran smiled slightly and turned back to the controls, following Tim's directions he piloted the shuttle gently in to place after a couple of minutes of delicate positioning before turning to his passengers. "We're here..."

And now, the continuation:

Bridge, USS Portland

Sera sat in the Command Chair, carefully considering her next moves. Right now the shuttle needed time, and that time is what she was going to give them. She kept the ship at Yellow Alert. Knowing that the shuttle would be impossible to detect without pinpointing it's exact location, Sera had an idea.

A few years before she left the Portland to become the First Officer of the Lexington, Marcus and Sera had overseen the installation of holographic emitters on the hull of the ship. The project had been scrapped not long after installation because of the power draw of the system and the emitters were left in place. It was doubtful anyone not involved in the project, including everyone one the Eclipse, had any idea they had even been installed. She turned her head toward the Operations station and said, "Marc... erm... I'll do it."

She quickly made her way toward Ops. Once there she frantically tapped various commands on the display. The Bridge began to look damaged, blown out consoles began to replace working consoles. Pieces of the bridge began to appear destroyed and broken titanium beams with pulled out wires dotted the rest of the Bridge. Here and there life support ducts began to smoke.

The outside of the ship looked just as bad to sensors and the eye. Parts of the ship bore scorch marks. In places, the hull looked as if it had been peeled back by a powerful plasma blast, including a large hole through the starboard saucer section. The starboard nacelle began to blink and the power grid appeard to be unstable across the entire ship. Sensors and the eye would have shown the Portland as practically dead in the water.

Sera made her way back to the Captain's chair. As she walked, she made her hair look frazzled and ripped her sleeve. She looked at the Bridge crew and said, "Make yourselves look as bad as the ship."

If the situation weren't so dire, Sera would have laughed at the site of a Bridge crew purposely making themselves look so unprofessional. She looked at Tactical, "I just need one torpedo and some trickery. I need a torpedo slaved to a probe."

Sera sat back into the chair and sighed, hoping this plan would work. Sera turned toward the Helm and said, "Helm, plot a course to bring us side-by-side, make us look extremely damaged with erratic controls. She looked back at tactical, "Hail them."

Jena did as she was ordered. "Captain, might I suggest that we vent some plasma from one of the nacelles to further the pretense." She said returning to the Operations console. Since Val was concentrating on manually targeting the weapons, Science Officer hailed the Eclipse. "I have the Eclipse, Captain."

"Make it so," Sera replied in agreement. They had to make the ship look as damaged as possible. The goal was to get in close to the Eclipse to hopefully disable the pursuing vessel. This time, there would be no Marcus to help the Portland escape. The other choice was to take a Century-old ship on it's way to being mothballed into the plasma storm itself. Sera then thought for a moment, "Could someone add a healthy dose of interference to the our viewscreen feed?"

“Coming right up, captain,” replied Gregory Rathcliffe, adding some video and audio interference to the feed.

A view of the bridge of the Eclipse appeared on the main viewscreen of the USS Portland. At the center of the screen sat Captain del Bolero, a smug expression on his face. He was a little surprised to not see Rouse, but given the damage to the Portland, perhaps he was a casualty. "Captain Williams -- or should I say ex-Captain, as I'm pretty sure by participating in this conspiracy you've given up your commission -- I see your ship is heavily damaged. Is this a social call, or were you going to stand down and offer me an unconditional surrender?"

"Captain del Bolero, the ex-Captain Rouse led us to a trap. We believed him," Sera said, playing a bit on Tim's time as Captain. She had to make it as believeable as she could. "He said we would get back Meru and fix the timeline. He led us to our destruction," she added a bit of desperation to her voice, trying to make her acting performance as realistic as possible.

"Where is he now?" asked del Bolero, staring at Sera with a mixture of anger and disappointment.

"He's... he's gone, along with half the crew. We'd be with them if you didn't come when you did," Sera said with desperation as though she were fighting through tears. Looking at Selina, Sera said, "I'm sorry to put you through this."

Selina had never seen her sister in this condition. Fighting back her own teas, the Eclipse's Chief Operations Officer silently said, "It's ok, sis. We're here."

On the Eclipse, Andy's head shot up upon hearing of his father's passing. "What?" he whispered, not knowing how he felt. Even though the elder Rouse had abandoned him so many years ago, he was still his father.

"I'm sorry for your loss, but as a Starfleet captain, you should understand the consequences of this sort of reckless behaviour," lectured del Bolero in a patronizing tone. "Shut down all systems and prepare for transport directly to our brig. Medical staff will be on hand to deal with any injuries. We will tractor the Portland to the nearest scrapyard, where it belongs."

"I'll bring the Portland to you, then shut down everything but what life support we have," Sera lied. She made a point to look toward the helm and ordered, "Bring us to within docking distance of the Eclipse, prepare to stand down."

With a heavy sigh, Sera looked back at the viewscreen, "Captain, give me a few moments with the crew. I'll be ready to turn myself in to your security officers once we dock."

"As you wish," replied del Bolero. "But I'm warning you, I am authorized to use lethal force, so no funny business."

As the viewscreen faded back to normal, Sera stood from the Captain's chair. With a look towards tactical, she asked, "What's the status of my torpedo? Did you get it slaved to the probe?"

"Yes, sir, its ready to go on your order." Commander Valentine 'Val' Dubois reported from the tactical console, in his usual Southern drawl.

"Very good," Sera replied, a smile almost crossing her face. She turned her attention back to Flight Control as the pilot eased the ship into docking position. When satisfied, she turned towards the viewscreen, "Aim the probe at the joint that connects the nacelle to the pylon."

"Aye, sir." The former CI officer replied as he manipulated the manual targeting controls.

Sera moved the controls to the ship's holographic imaging system to the Captain's chair, giving Tactical a chance to ready their aim. Once she gave the command, the Portland would fire a probe that would attach to the joint of the ship's nacelle and pylon. At the same time, a quantum torpedo would follow the probe, which would create a hole in the Eclipse's shield, and would remove the nacelle from the ship. The effect would be to disable the Eclipse.

She looked at the pilot and said, "When I give the 'fire' command, go to full impulse and get us away from the ship." Turning back to Tactical, she added, "As soon as you fire, raise shields."

Giving a quick sigh, she sat in her chair. She tapped the commands to bring down all of the holographic emitters, giving the Portland access to full power. "Fire and engage," Sera said as she confirmed the choice to bring down the illusion.

Val fired probe and raised the shields, monitoring it as it approached the Eclipse and Portland pulled away.

At the Operations console, Jena had transferred power to the shield emitters and impulse engines in preparation for the manoeuvre. Now she held her breath to see if Sera's plan would work.

Captain Williams was on pins and needles as she watched the probe slip through the Eclipse's shields, followed closely by the glowing blue orb of the quantum torpedo. The viewscreen cut out because of the interference as the quantum torpedo struck true to its target. Sera stood, waiting for some kind of confirmation that the Eclipse had been disabled. "Bring us about, keep weapons ready."

"Captain, your ploy had the desired effect, the Eclipse's port nacelle was sheared clean off by the explosion, there was no other damage and their SI fields adapted immediately. Their warp drive is essentially out of commission, so, if their peacock of a captain wants to go faster than full impulse, he's gonna have to get out and push." Val reported, then after a beat, "Weapons ready, ma'am.

Jena found it hard to stifle a smile when she thought of del Bolero running around the Eclipse dressed as a peacock.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Where your loyalties lie, part III
Authors: Captain Alhambra del Bolero (played by Alenis Meru), Ensign Selina Williams (played by Sera Williams), Cadet Andy Rouse (played by Timothy Rouse), Commander Arthur Reynolds, Timothy Rouse, Tolaran Kian, Holo-Meru (played by Alenis Meru)

Last time, on Star Trek: Portland

Captain Williams was on pins and needles as she watched the probe slip through the Eclipse's shields, followed closely by the glowing blue orb of the quantum torpedo. The viewscreen cut out because of the interference as the quantum torpedo struck true to its target. Sera stood, waiting for some kind of confirmation that the Eclipse had been disabled. "Bring us about, keep weapons ready."

"Captain, your ploy had the desired effect, the Eclipse's port nacelle was sheared clean off by the explosion, there was no other damage and their SI fields adapted immediately. Their warp drive is essentially out of commission, so, if their peacock of a captain wants to go faster than full impulse, he's gonna have to get out and push." Val reported, then after a beat, "Weapons ready, ma'am.

Jena found it hard to stifle a smile when she thought of del Bolero running around the Eclipse dressed as a peacock.

And now, the continuation:

Bridge, USS Eclipse

"Report!" shouted del Bolero as he climbed back into his chair. The blast from the Portland's torpedo had sent him falling out of his chair, breaking his swagger stick in half.

He was pissed.

Even missing a nacelle, the Eclipse was still a powerful vessel, much moreso than the aging Miranda class. "I want those shields back up now!" shouted del Bolero. "Fire all tetryon beams, arm the transphasic torpedoes, and prepare the tractor beams. They aren't getting away."

"Sir, we are leaking power out of the EPS conduits, the core will become unstable of we don't power down some of the ships systems," Selina called from her station. Her sister had known exactly where to hit the Eclipse. "We won't be able to keep up our battle readiness for long, this needs to end quickly," she said, regretting her word choice as soon as she said them.

She gave a nervous look to Andy. They both had family aboard the Portland, though she probably cared more for them than her shipmate.

Arthur, in the meantime, confirmed Selina's statement. "We can't do much from here anyway." He stood and started toward the tactical console, pushing the officer who was originally stationed there out of the way. It took him little time to dump some of the reserve energy into the sensors, and in that brief moment, a certain little shuttle had appeared at the edge of the sensor's range, albeit giving off a weak signal due to a shifting phase variance. With that, he looked up at the viewscreen and directed his next few words at the Captain. "Permission to take a shuttle over. I can get by the Portland if we fire an antimatter spread to blind their sensors."

"Permission granted," replied del Bolero with a wave of his hand. "Rouse, prepare the antimatter spread."

"But sir," protested Andy, his legs shaking, "given the damage to their shields, an antimatter spread could severely damage or destroy--"

"You have your orders, cadet Rouse." replied del Bolero, turning in his chair to glare at the young cadet who dared to question him. "We gave these fugitives every opportunity to surrender peacefully, and they attacked us. If they die here, it's their own fault."

Despite del Bolero's intimidating rank and posture, Andy found it within himself to protest once more. "No, sir," he said in a firm tone, glaring back at del Bolero. Their eyes locked for a few seconds, as though they were testing each other's resolve, before del Bolero spoke again.

"Ensign Suval, relieve cadet Rouse. Ensign sh'Karath, escort the cadet to the brig." He swiveled in his chair back towards the viewscreen. "Now, prepare the antimatter spread."

Selina, barely able to hold back her tears, weakly said, "S...Sir, I... can't let you do that." The Portland was crippled and little threat to anything. She quickly shut down power to the weapons and locked the console. Her voice growing a bit stronger, Selina continued, "Starfleet doesn't execute it's criminals, they have no means of offense and we have no idea what a warp core breach would do in the Badlands."

"sh'Karath, make that two to escort to the brig," replied del Bolero. "Anyone else?" he asked as he swiveled in his seat and looked over the bridge and at the shocked expressions of his crew.

The silence was broken by Ensign Suval, ever the loyal officer. "Preparing antimatter spread, sir."7

Tolaran’s Shuttle

To the occupants of the shuttle, the freighter around them and its contents appeared translucent, almost ghost-like. The crew of the shuttle could see through bulkheads, floors and crates, and examine the cargo and systems inside. It was a strange sensation, one which made Tim nauseous.

With his eyes, Tim scanned the cargo. It wasn't long before he spotted a crate with five glowing objects in them. "Bingo," he muttered as he pulled out a specially modified tricorder. "Shards as 11 o'clock. I just need to surround them with a tetryon field and we can interact with them and bring them on board. Tolaran, move us five metres, forward and to the left.

As Tolaran adjusted their position, the orbs came closer until they were inside the shuttle. "Here goes nothing," muttered Tim as he held his specially modified tricorder up to the orb shards. One at a time, he used the tricorder to bring the shards out of phase with the freighter and into phase with the shuttle, then carefully placed them one by one into the case.

"We got what we came for," replied Tim. "Lets get out of here before the Eclipse notices our presence."

As the shuttle pulled away from the freighter, the battle in front of them came into view. The Eclipse was missing its upper port nacelle, but the Portland was being torn to shreds by the Eclipse's barrage of tetryon beams and transphasic torpedoes. Tim shook his head and a tear came to his eye; he knew the Portland wouldn't last very long under this barrage. He felt a hand on his shoulder; without turning he knew whose it was. "Meru, I..."

Tolaran frowned and signalled the Eclipse "Arthur, I'm ordering you to make the Eclipse cease fire on the Portland, damn it man, don't make me come over there!!!" he turned in his chair towards Tim, I'm sorry Tim... I can open fire or I can beam over to the Eclipse, technically I'm Arthur's superior in 31, but he still hasn't responded to me, it's unusual."

Meru leaned in towards Tim. "You know what you have to do. You have to reassemble the shards."

"I don't know how!" he protested. Seeing the Portland being battered by the eclipse, he broke down. His legs collapsed under him and he sat down on the floor of the shuttle and held his head in his hands. "This was supposed to be easy," he cried.

"Tim," said Meru, placing an arm around him, "Let the prophets guide you. Let them work through your hands." She looked up at Zirra, motioning for her to place the container of shards in front of him.

Tim took a deep breath and opened the container. For a moment, he was blinded by a bright white light, and then before him he saw six crystalline shapes floating before him, slowly rotating. Instinctively, he reached out towards them, but they pulled away. Slowly, they assembled themselves before his eyes, and then with another flash of white light they were gone and he was back on the shuttle, a class 8b crate in front of him. "I know how..." he whispered as he opened the crate and got to work...
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Return to “The Bridge”