Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Re: Meru Mysteries

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 pm

Stationhouse 3
Holodeck 2, USS Portland

"So, we know that Washington left for Winnipeg via Union Station four weeks ago, and we know that he never got on his train--"

"Captain, this is absurd," interrupted Timothy. "We're trapped in the holodeck with no safeties and someone trying to kill us. We should be trying to break out, or contact someone on the outside, not playing detective!"

"That's what I'm trying to do!" exclaimed Alenis. She winced in pain, any activity, be it walking or even talking too loudly, would aggravate her wound. "If we can solve this mystery, the program should conclude and end."

"But you were almost killed!"

"I've been dead before," countered Alenis in a deadpan voice. "As much as I am an aficionado of the mystery genre, I don't enjoy this any more than either of you. Now, whoever or whatever is responsible for this is clearly toying with us. The ring, the Shakespeare quote, it's all a game to someone. If we play along, perhaps we can get them to show themselves."

Tim shook his head. This plan was not only dangerous but crazy. Whoever this evil gamemaster was, he clearly had no qualms about hurting, maybve even killing, them. "And how would we do that?" he asked.

"Where would one go if one were to try to solve the mystery?" Alenis asked rhetorically.

There was a brief moment of silence before Detective Beauvoir chimed in. "The train station?"

"Of course." Alenis nodded. "It's the last place Washington was seen, and the logical place to begin an investigation. If the party responsible for this were to set a trap, it would be the logical place." She looked over at a clearly confused constable who was desperately trying to keep up. "Constable Nettles, hail us a carriage. We're going downtown."
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Union Station, Toronto
Holodeck 2, USS Portland

"Ms. Washingon, does the number 318 mean anything to you?" asked Alenis, turning over the index card in her hand as they walked into the station. The number was scribbled on the back of the library card which was enclosed in the package.

"Well, my birthday is March 18th..." replied Ellen, examining the card, "and that is my father's handwriting. But how?"

Alenis stared at it for a moment. The Victorian era constables at the stationhouse managed to lift a fingerprint from the severed finger, which was an identical match for the biometric information on file for Admiral Washington -- just about the only thing she could access from the one console she could find access to. "Obviously whoever modified this program has gotten access to the database and sifted through classified personnel files to incorporate them into the program."

"But why?" asked Ellen.

All the world's a stage... and all the men and women merely players. These words repeated themselves over and over in Alenis' head. "To toy with us," she said in a firm tone.

"Okay, but why would he write my birthday on this index card? That seems strange," replied Ellen.

"Hmmmmmm," as Alenis surveyed the train station, the lockers caught her eye. "Detective Beauvoir, come with me. I need to place an inquiry with the front desk."

Tim rolled his eyes at Alenis. Even in crisis, she still wasn't taking this program seriously.
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:28 am

Union Station, Toronto
Holodeck 2, USS Portland

"Excuse me, ma'am," said Alenis strolling towards the front desk. I was wondering if you could--"

"Omigod, it's Detective Meru!" exclaimed the woman at the counter, one who bore a striking resemblance to Ensign Nikki Barclay. "I've read about all your cases. I clip all your articles in the telegram. That diamond heist you foiled, and how you solved the murder of Dr. Wallace... and the time you foiled the assassination attempt on Prime Minister Laurier..." The 'Nikki' hologram waved her arms excitedly. "I'm your biggest fan!"

Alenis was taken aback. Nikki was supposed to be on duty in engineering. "Why, thank you miss," she replied, tipping her hat towards the woman. Evidently they had managed to recreate Nikki's frantic personality as well. "I'm afraid I'm here on official business. This is my associate, Detective Beauvoir, from Montreal." Alenis paused, allowing Jason to flash his badge. "We want to know who here rented out locker number 318."

"Locker 318..." The 'Nikki' character reached down and pulled out a large book. "It was rented out four weeks ago, to a Stan O. Whig. It's strange; normally people don't rent out lockers for this long, but he paid a large sum up-front, and, well, we do value our clients' privacy."

Jason leaned over towards Alenis. "Stan O. Whig..." he muttered. "That's an anagram for Washington."

A smile appeared on Alenis' face. "In that case, I'll need your spare key. A life may hang in the balance."

"Right away!" exclaimed the Nikki hologram as she ran off.

Alenis turned towards Jason. "What do you make of this, Lieutenant?"

"It's very strange," replied Jason. "Whoever or whatever is messing with this holo-program and who locked us must also have access to the main computer."

"Agreed, but why?" Alenis placed a hand on her chin, deep in thought. "Why would someone lock us in the holodeck, attack us, and go to the trouble of digging through the main computer to bring in Nikki, and the biometric data for Admiral Washington?"

Jason nodded along in agreement. "But more importantly," he said, "if whoever is toying with us has access to the main computer, imagine what they could do to the crew. Power distribution, life support, plasma control... they're all controlled by the ship's computer."

Alenis gasped. She hadn't realized the danger that this situation had posed to the crew beyond the four walls of the holodeck. "In that case," she started, "we better figure this out and--"

"Your key, detective!" chimed in the Nikki hologram. "Locker 318 is just down the hall to your right! I hope you catch whoever you're looking for!"
Capt. Alenis Meru
Commanding Officer
USS Portland

Return to “The Lower Decks”