Ash Sullivan
Chief Security Officer
Chief Security Officer

Family Ties

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 am

OOC: This is an ongoing side plot regarding Ash's relationship with his parents. It takes place towards the end of the Breen mission and in the 6 month interim between missions 9 and 10.

Family Ties - Part 1
Who: Martha and Lionel Sullivan
Where: Their home (Brisbane, Australia, Earth)
When: During “Cold Case”

The Sullivan’s lived in a two-storey mansion overlooking the ocean on the east coast of Australia. Their estate was spacious and full of beautiful gardens, carefully tended to by Martha and Lionel themselves now that they had retired. On the rear balcony, at a small glass table for two, Lionel Sullivan sat looking out at the waves crashing on the sand, as the sun began to rise over the horizon. Martha, his wife, soon appeared behind him on the balcony carrying a tray of breakfast for the two of them.

“I checked with Diane from the JAG office, there’s still no news on his whereabouts. As far as Star Fleet is concerned he’s still MIA.” Martha reported to her husband as she sat down and poured coffee, “He hasn’t returned any of my letters either.”

“Did you really expect him to, dear?” Lionel replied, “After the way he left? He has barely had any communication with any of the family since the day he left for the academy... The day we cut him off. In nine years we’ve never made any effort to contact him, nor he us.” There was a hint of frustration in his voice, not at his son but at himself for allowing such a divide to occur in their family.

“He was selfish,” Martha responded, sharply at first but her voice began to shake towards the end of her statement. “We only wanted what was best for him and… and…” She was unable to finish her sentence as tears began streaming down her face.

Lionel put an arm around his wife as she began to weep, “We were selfish, dear. And that’s something we’re just going to have to live with.” He replied as a tear rolled down his own cheek.

Martha replied between sobs, “I don’t… know if I… can… What if… what if we… never see our boy again?” She replied, beginning to sob once again.

Composing himself once again Lionel pulled Martha a little closer in his embrace, “We will see him again. He’s strong, he’s a Sullivan. He’ll be O…” A sudden thud sounded as Lionel collapsed, falling from his chair.

Martha was shocked, she was still crying and didn’t know what to do. Running to the nearest comms panel she quickly contacted emergency services and managed to compose herself a little before she was connected. “Please, my husband just collapsed. I don’t know what happened one minute we were sitting together eating breakfast the next he was on the floor.” She practically screamed in panic.

A calm voice on the other end of the line replied, “Don’t worry ma’am, I have your coordinates and I’m preparing to beam you and your husband directly to the nearest medical facility. Please just remain calm.”

By the time the transporter had engaged Martha had returned to a panicked state, crying hysterically when she arrived a moment later in the hospital.
Lt. (JG) Ash Sullivan
Assistant Chief Security Officer
USS Portland

Ash Sullivan
Chief Security Officer
Chief Security Officer

Re: Family Ties

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 am

Family Ties - Part 2
Who: Martha and Lionel Sullivan
Where: Federation Medical Facility, Australia
When: During “Cold Case”

Martha sat by the side of her husband’s bio-bed. He was asleep now but was in a stable condition. The scanner covering his torso emitted a soft hum as it continued to monitor his condition and run tests scheduled by the medical personnel. They had issued a light sedative to Martha shortly after her arrival, which helped to calm her nerves.

A soft-spoken male Betazoid doctor entered the room with a PADD in his hand and bowed slightly to Martha, “Mrs. Sullivan, my name is Eisdol Bron, I’m your husbands attending physician.”

“Dr. Bron, thank goodness. Have you got any news?” Martha asked, tightening her grip on Lionel’s hand.

“Yes I do,” Dr. Bron replied, sensing Martha’s concern, “but I’d like Mr. Sullivan to hear it as well.” He reached into the pocket of his coat and pulled out a hypospray, which he promptly pressed to Lionel’s neck, causing him to regain consciousness. “Mr. Sullivan, my name is Eisdol Bron, I’m your physician. I have some news about your condition.” He explained, reaching out with his mind subtly to help the newly awakened patient get his bearings.

As the grogginess of his sedatives quickly wore off Lionel responded weakly at first, “Yes doctor. What is it?” He looked to his wife, both to reassure her and in search of reassurance.

“Well I have good news and bad news. I’m afraid we’ve determined the cause of your collapse to be a rare neurodegenerative disorder called Forrester-Trent Syndrome.” The doctor explained, “Now this disorder can be fatal but we’ve been able to pick it up quite early and there is a treatment available which has a very high success rate. There are of course some potential side effects of the treatment.” He handed a PADD over to Lionel before continuing. “I’ll give the two of you some time to read through this information package and come to a conclusion. When you’ve made your decision all you need to do is to provide a fingerprint scan at the bottom of the consent document and then we can make preparations to start.”

“Of course doctor. Thank you.” Martha responded at a loss for words. She and her husband had never even heard of Forrester-Trent Syndrome before today so the news was a lot to take in.

“If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.” Dr. Bron added before leaving the room.

“Excuse me, doctor.” A young human nurse called out as Dr. Bron passed the nursing station. “I did a check as you asked and it appears Mr. Sullivan does have an immediate relative in Star Fleet, a son named Ashley, serving on the USS Portland. He’s… currently missing in action sir.”

Dr. Bron furrowed his brow. Being an empath he could sense great concern from the Sullivan’s and he began to understand why, “Follow standard protocol, send a communiqué informing him of his father’s condition. Hopefully, if and when he is found he will receive it.”
Lt. (JG) Ash Sullivan
Assistant Chief Security Officer
USS Portland

Return to “The Lower Decks”